Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I raise credit limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

should I raise credit limit

I tried to post this before but don't see it so if this is a repeat-sorry.  I pay my cc off every month but I tend to charge over 10%.  It's a fairly new card so the limit isn't that high.  I'm thinking I should raise my limit so my utilization is <10%.  My score is excellent finally so I'm sure they'll raise it.  Am I thinking correctly in raising the limit?
marybeth
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: should I raise credit limit

Hi roscoe/marybeth, and welcome to the insane asylum!
Like everything, in FICO, there is no simple yes or no.
Before you read anything further I have to say, one simple question always precedes any FICO decision.  When do you plan to apply for new credit?  I say this, because up to that point, FICO is only academic  Keeping a card below 10% this month is absolutely meaningless until such time as you apply for new credti, for %util has no FICO memory, and is strictly short term.  Sometimes building FICO for the future is a totally different plan from gettting a quick fix for the next month credit app. FICO is a short and long term strategy.  Having said that...
Decreasing %util by increasing CL, in the abstract, is a quck fix.  But...
Will the request for a CLI result in a hard inq when it is considered by your CCC?  If so, it will hit you with a new inq, and up to about an immediate -10 hit on FICO, approved or not, which wil linger for a year.  NO guarantee of approval.  Andyou apparently have only this one card, so that is your only base for future age of credit history...
You say it is a fairly new card.  So I assume that you have a short credit history.
If you only have one CC, then unless you are obsessed with an immediate FICO bump, I suggest that you put that new inq and additional CL increase into securement of an additional CC.  Both will then add to your CL, and also give you a new account that will begin to accrue credit history that I suspect would be beneficial. 
So, IMHO, from what you have said, is to consider securing a better CC rather than going of a CLI on your one existing card if you are in the mode of building future FICO.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-18-2008 11:02 PM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-18-2008 11:05 PM
Message 2 of 6
cobra19
Valued Contributor

A better approach to getting ut. <10% is reducing cc balances - not increasing limits. Increasing limits is ok, but that cc debt will still be there.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It never hurts to raise limits. You got the idea. UTL is the key. Lower UTL better. So if you can't spend less raise your limits. But I still think you should do both, spend less and raise limits. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I tried to post this before but don't see it so if this is a repeat-sorry. I pay my cc off every month but I tend to charge over 10%. It's a fairly new card so the limit isn't that high. I'm thinking I should raise my limit so my utilization is <10%. My score is excellent finally so I'm sure they'll raise it. Am I thinking correctly in raising the limit?

marybeth

Nothing at all wrong with spending well over 10% of a card's credit limit, if you have the cash to pay it off, and if you don't mind doing the two-part payment, where you pay it down to under 10% before the statement date, and then finish it off however you want. If you are going to PIF it, it's even simpler: pay early. True, you lose about one week's worth of whatever infinitesimal interest your money might be earning, but real world, unless you're moving thousands of dollars around, it's probably a negligible figure. On 2.6% APY, one week's of interest on $1000 is 50 cents.

I spend the same amount of money that I would if I didn't use credit cards; I just put it all on plastic. This way I get rewards, plus I don't have to carry cash around. (Back when I carried cash, it just flew out of my wallet 24/7, lol.) But except for one balance transfer card that is at 43%, my overall util is way under 1%. It's not that hard to have it both ways, if you want to keep your reported util down, which is completely up to you.

It's all in deciding what util you want to have report, and then taking the steps to make that happen. Many people argue that there's no point in torturing util in this manner if you're not ready to app for something, and I see their point, but I like that this is an element of my credit over which I have complete control. Well, as long as TU ever updates, that is. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I never use cash anymore. I don't get the benefit of the extra time on the cards either because I PIF nearly all the time. With interest rates at 10% or higher it would be different but down here it doesn't matter.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.