Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

someone help me please!

tag
DUCTAPER77
Valued Member

someone help me please!

I have 2 cards with  $3500 limits one has a $2000 balance and the other is maxed out ok I have  $2000 to pay down a little bit the question is should I pay off the card with the $2000 balance and have one at 0% one still maxed or should I put some on both cards and have them at 50% trying to get the best results for my score what would you do?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: someone help me please!

Two at 50% will definitely give you the best score.  If they had very different interest rates, then there would be a good case for getting both cards to < 70% amd then spending the rest on the card that was much higher interest -- just to save yourself money.

The most important thing for you to do (since you ask) is to look carefully at how you got to that place (without beating yourself up, no condemning voice allowed) and using that insight to develop a plan for how you will get all of the debt paid off.  Your goal should be to owe nothing to the credit card companies.  Once you do, that will open up a new chapter in your life, where you begin saving and investing money, rather than owing it.  You'll really like that.

Message 2 of 4
dman23
Frequent Contributor

Sound advice!

myFico Score Experian: Start (4/21/14) 626 Current (5/7/16) 841
myFico Score Equifax: Start (4/30/14) 694 Current (5/6/16) 838
myFico Score Transunion Start (5/01/2014) 727 Current (5/7/16) 842
Discover (4/24/14) 659 (5/5/16) 842
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's your goal?

1.  Building credit - spread it out to lower your credit utilization on teh cards

2.  General personal finance - Bank the some of that $2k for a fund in case the transmission goes, job loss, etc, and then pay off the highest percentage card.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.