Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

taking loan from 401k to pay off credit card debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

taking loan from 401k to pay off credit card debt

hi everyone, 

is it wise to pay off credit card debt by taking out a withdrawal from your 401k? 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: taking loan from 401k to pay off credit card debt

Generally, no.

Care to provide more details? It's tough to give advice without knowing how much debt, your age, etc.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lynette,

I'm 29 and have cc debt of 5900 @ 7.24% APR with chase..i currently have 25k in 401 retirement. Any other questions?

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Lynette,

@I'm 29 and have cc debt of 5900 @ 7.24% APR with chase..i currently have 25k in 401 retirement. Any other questions?

Thanks for your help.

At your age I would not consider touching that retirement. You have a very low rate and not that much CC debt. Believe me.......I KNOW about alot of CC debt!!! Concentrate every extra penny you have to paying that debt off. If you don't mind giving some details about your income, other debts, etc. more ideas can be offered.

Good luck in your effort.

(myfico)
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

CC interest free as of 8/09
Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO.
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks marine for the advice. here's more info:

debt:

school loan: 38k @ 4%

cc: 5900 @ 7.24%

mortgage: 285k

income: 50k yearly 

Message 5 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks marine for the advice. here's more info:

debt:

@Anonymous loan: 38k @ 4%

@Anonymous: 5900 @ 7.24%

mortgage: 285k

income: 50k yearly 

Thanks for the information. My advice is still the same. Keep building that 401k and do everything possible to pay off that CC debt as quickly as you can. Even at 7.24% why pay anymore interest than you have to? Plus you never know when and if Chase will get a wild hair and jack your rate up. If you have no CC debt then the interest rate doesn't matter at all.

Message 6 of 16
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would not take a withdrawl  on a 401K to pay off credit card debt. The savings on the credit card debt would be more than offset by the tax ramifications.  Since you are not at leat 59 1/2 the withdrawl would be considered a premature distribution. The premature distribtion would be hit with a 20% penalty from the IRS which is deducted before you receive the check this does not factor in the tax ramifications from state in which you live. The whole 5900 is treated as ordinary income which is fully taxable at years end. If only as a last resort if your plan allows you to get a loan / borrow from 401K you might consider that.  You can borrow the money at the interest is set by the plan.  Since you are re-paying yourself with interest is not deductible. Here is the catch. If you leave the company you must pay the balance in full or run into the problems described above. In a nutshell it is not worth it.
FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for reply. When I got the chase letter in the mail regarding the APR rate hike, I was tried to think of various options to bring the cc debt down. I'm still new to fico scoring but is having this revolving debt bad for my score? also, I have never been late on any payments in the past.
Message 8 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
thanks for reply. When I got the chase letter in the mail regarding the APR rate hike, I was tried to think of various options to bring the cc debt down. I'm still new to fico scoring but is having this revolving debt bad for my score? also, I have never been late on any payments in the past.

I'll put in another 2 cents. Or maybe 4 cents.

In strictly financial terms carrying a balance each month on your CC costs you money in interest. That in and of itself may not hurt you in FICO scoring depending on you utilization, i.e. your total balance divided by your total credit limit. The most popular figure for optimum utilization seems to be less than 9%. In the perfect scenario you would charge that percentage each month, wait for the statement to post (which also reports that amount to each CRA) and then pay in full before the due date to avoid any interest charges. Obviously that only will work once a CC is paid down completely and from that point forward. That's why it's so important to get that card paid off as fast as possible  May I ask what your utilization is on this card?

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi marine..

chase credit limit is 13,500 with balance of 5900

other cc:

discover: 12,700, with balance of 0

capital one: 11900 with balance of 0

other chase: 5000 with balance of 0

citi: 12000 with balance of 0 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.