cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

this just happened to me with TransUnion July 2016.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

this just happened to me with TransUnion July 2016.

I had a collections account that wasn't mine removed from Transunion.   They deleted the collections account and my FICO score with them 2 days later dropped by 23 points!!!   There isn't a single difference in my credit report except that the collections account isn't there...   How is it possible that it made my score drop?   Are they seeking revenge for my disputing an illegal account?    It appears to be so.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: this just happened to me with TransUnion July 2016.

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a collections account that wasn't mine removed from Transunion.   They deleted the collections account and my FICO score with them 2 days later dropped by 23 points!!!   There isn't a single difference in my credit report except that the collections account isn't there...   How is it possible that it made my score drop?   Are they seeking revenge for my disputing an illegal account?    It appears to be so.

Welcome to the board.

When it comes to credit scoring, there is nothing like revenge.  Your FICO scores have no memory and TU cannot make your scores drop.  Something else changed in your credit profile for you to lose 23 points.

So if I were in your shoes, I'd review the report closely again.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uh, no nothing else changed except they removed a collections that hadn't belonged to me.   The rest of my credit looks  EXACTLY the same.  I'm not asking you have to believe me because I saw it happen!!   And why is it called Credit History when they don't count actually history and  ONLY what is currently open.   NONE of my past 30 years of terrific perfect credit counts because the loans are all paid off!

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Two possibilities......

First, not all information in your credit file is shown in your credit report.  There could have been a change that resulted from some item that is not shown in your credit report per se.  However, that is not likely, as most scoring related info is shown in most commercial credit reports.

Second, the removal of the derog caused your scoring to then be moved to a different scorecard, resulting in a different algorithm being used.

What is commonly called rebucketing can result in you now being compared with a better category of consumers, thus resulting in a less favrorable initial score.

I would suspect rebucketing.......

Message 4 of 7
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

RobertEG- If the now "removed" collection was in error to begin with, how is that OP's score didn't return to it's original range instead of being placed into another "different" category?

To some of us, that would seem to give appearance of a fatal flaw in FICO's algorithm for such consumers.

Message 5 of 7
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Question...

Did you happen to have some balances reporting the previous month that just happenened to be paid to $0 now?

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 6 of 7
JLK93
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's unlikely that someone at FICO had the time to write an algorithm specifically designed to get revenge for your dispute.

Could you provide some information as to what is actually in your credit report?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.