Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

too many old cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

too many old cards

I have about 30 cards/accounts that are open since the mid 80's. I don't use many of these (I only use 2 major cards) and never use retail cards. Can I close some of these accounts without hurting my score? (I have a great score) Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: too many old cards

softballmom wrote:
I have about 30 cards/accounts that are open since the mid 80's. I don't use many of these (I only use 2 major cards) and never use retail cards. Can I close some of these accounts without hurting my score? (I have a great score) Smiley Happy

Hi! Try reading Tuscani's credit scoring 101 thread below.

Message 2 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

If they are not costing you money, don't close them.  The average age of your accounts is one reason you have a great score  Smiley Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice!
Message 4 of 7
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Under normal circumstances yes that is good advice but having around 30 cards does not look good at all to future lenders.   I would get rid of at least 80% of them
Message 5 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

It could also depend on the credit limits - 30 cards with a $100 limit is different to 30 with a $5,000 limit, I would guess.  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

softballmom wrote:

Do you plan on doing a refi or purchase of a home anytime soon? Even if you do, I would not close any CCs until the mortgage lender required it--if they required it.

Message Edited by Noah_Bodie on 07-06-2007 04:24 PM
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.