Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to raise average score by at least 60 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

trying to raise average score by at least 60 points

We recently went to the bank to apply for a home loan. We are trying to get in before dec 1 to qualify for the tax break. At the bank, our scores were alot lower than we thought. We have bankruptcy from 2004. We also have collections in our report. We have about 8 credit cards that have maxed out. So, in the last week I have made arrangements to pay off ALL of our collections. Some will be reflected as paid in full, some as settled for less than owed. We have also lowered our credit card debt (all but one account) to less than 50% of what we owe. So by the end of September, all our collections will be settled, and our credit card debt will be at or less than 50% of what we owe. We do have a car loan that we have paid on time every month for almost two years. Will this be enough work to raise the points? Our middle score was 611 for myself, and 587 for my husband. The bank said they could work with us if we have at least 620 but Im goping we can bump to 640-650 by doing all that work. Is this possible? and can it report that fast? i plan to report everything myself to the credit berueas once its settled, and we did hire lexington law to help report and dispute things... will this help?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Re: trying to raise average score by at least 60 points

As far as FICO is concerned a collection is a collection. It makes no difference if it is paid or not--your loan officer will think differently about this of course. If it is not too late I would attempt to arrange for a PFD (paid for delete) for as many collections as you can.

Lowering your credit card bills from maxed out to below 50% utilization should have a big impact. If you would like more specific advice you can post the limits and balances on each of your cards and better advice to sqeeze out some points can be provided.

Good luck! 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have two first premier cards. one limit is 350 balance will be 150 by end of sept. other limit is 200 balance will be 75 by end of month. The next card is orchard bank. limit is 200 balance will be 75. next is credit one bank limit of 350 balance will be 200 by end of september.

my husband has a car laon, paid on time every month. a fingerhut card. limit of 400 balance of 300. best buy card limit is 600 balance will be 500 both these cards will be at those balances by end of the month. he has a first premier card that it 350 that will be lowered to 150. an orchard bank card with limit of 200 that will be lowered to balance of 100 or less and an continental bank that has limit of 375 that will be lowered to 150 balance.

all these cards were maxxed out or over limits when we applied for loan. so in the next month we will be paying them all under the 50% mark.

i know the old collection wont raise my score, but will affect the banks ability to give us the loan, once they are settled.

my middle score was 611, and my husbands was 587. can lowering this credit card debt raise our point? im looking to raise mine  25-50 points, and my husbands by about 50-60 points. what should i do to make sure this raises the points? like i said we are in a time crunch and hoping to get in a house by dec 1.

Message 3 of 15
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

You could probably raise your scores by the necessary amount, but you will have to pay you accounts way down. You will still have too many accounts maxxed out (or close). Fico looks at both individual card utilization and overall utilization. Here is what i have based on your post:

You:

FP#1 350 limit 150 balance 43% utilization

FP#2 200 limit 75 balance 37.5% utilization

OB    200 limit 75 balance 37.5% utilization

Total 750 limit 300 balance  40% overall utilization

Husband:

Fingerhut 400 limit 300 balance 75% utilization

Best Buy 600 limit 500 balance 83% utilization

FP           350 limit Balance 150 43%

OB          200 limit 100 balance 50%

Continental  375 limit 150 balance 40%

Total: 1925 limit 1200 balance = 62% overall utilization

To help your scores you are going to have to pay these way down. Ideally you would like to have less than 1/2 or the cards reporting a balance. How much $$ do you have to work with for paying down cc debt? At the very least you should pay off your 2 $75 balance cards and your husbands 100 and 150 balance cards. ideally you would only have one card reporting a balance (1 out of 4 cards) and your husband would have up to 2 out of 5 reporting a balance.  TO do this you would need $700.

Good luck. 

Helpful Threads
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is my plan:

Sept 11 Pay off two of my four credit cards

Sept 25 PAy off One out of 5 of my husbands cards

Oct 9 Pay off the 3rd out of 4 credit cards

Oct 9 pay off 2nd out of 5 of husband credit cards

October 23 pay off 3rd and 4th of husbands credit card

Oct 23 pay best buy. Limit will be 600 balance will be 250-275.

This will pay off 3 out of 4 cards, with the 4th card being under 50% balance for myself

This will pay off 4 out of 5 cards for my husband..leaving just the best buy account which will have limit of 600 balance of 250-275.

The collections account will have all been settled, and Im away this may lower our scores as they are opening new debts etc. However, will paying on all these cards help? Can you estimate by how much?

Message 5 of 15
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

It is very hard to guess how much the scores will change. However, you do not need a large jump and you are paying off a lot of debt. I think you have a very good shot at your target score. The earlier you pay all this off the better as it may take some time for everything to report. If you have not already I would certainly try a PFD or good will letters for your lates/collections. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Good luck. 

Helpful Threads
Message 6 of 15
slarano
Frequent Contributor

arranging to have those collections PFD will be the best way to raise your score from paying off those baddies. simply paying them off without a PFD agreement through the collection agency won't have such a significant effect (if any at all).
ImageImageImage

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im sending letter for PFD to the CA, but what if they deny? I need to pay these debts anyways, so if they say no i just pay? Ive also written letters to thecredit buereaus with documentation i paid these debts. Think that will help?We hired lexington law to help removed negative listings, but am beginning to think we are wasting our money. im just not very good at knowing what to say, and where to send, etc. Im writing letter to all CA asking for payment for deletion, whether I get it or not. Im also writing letter to the CB prooving i paid on these collections, and asking for removal. Anything else I can do?
Message 8 of 15
slarano
Frequent Contributor

unfortunately my knowledge on this topic pretty much levels out at the stage you're at. in your situation i too would be sending out those PFD letters and dispute letters to the CRA's. my natural reaction would be to play the waiting game, but i'm sure some good people on here will have a few good tips up their sleeves to help aid your situation. best of luck! i'll be following the thread as well to keep updated on any developments.
ImageImageImage

Message 9 of 15
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Make sure you fully understand the details of the first time home buyer tax credit:

http://www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com/2009/faq.php

You need time to properly address your CBR issues. Being under a time restraint will hinder you. It moves control of the issue solidly to the other side of the table.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.