cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

understanding my credit score

tag
kellymo

understanding my credit score

Is the part of your credit score that looks at unsecured credit based on indiviual cards or your over all debt. For example will my score improve if I get a single card down below 30% balance or does it have to be an overall reduction in the full debt?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: understanding my credit score

FICO utilization scoring looks at several factors:

(1)  overall utilization

(2)  maxed out cards

(3) utilization per card

(4) proportion of cards with balances

Message 2 of 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: understanding my credit score

@kellymo wrote:

Is the part of your credit score that looks at unsecured credit based on indiviual cards or your over all debt. For example will my score improve if I get a single card down below 30% balance or does it have to be an overall reduction in the full debt?

Thanks,

Welcome to the forums!

To add to user9483's comments, overall utilization is typically (for most people) a higher factor than individual card utlization - in paying down overall your individual cards will typically take care of itself.

If you're looking to strategically pay a certain amount of money to get try to put as much lipstick on the pig as possible for an application (mortgage or whatever), what I would suggest is post your various credit cards with both the balance and the credit limit of each, and people can tailor advice as to what to pay to each to try to maximize your score improvement in the short term.

        
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.