Established Member
robywater

utl - each card or overall?

Hello everyone.  Great info here.

My question is about utl.  Does it mean overall or does it refer to each card.  I have several cards with a total available credit of over $8000+ most have have less than 10% utl.  Two however have high utl.   $2500 w/ 2200 & $1250 w/ 975.  Overall utl is $3800 Would it help to spread the balance out?  I have on $3500 w/ 400.  I understand a total utl of less than 50% will help.

TU 624: EX 629; EQ 595

Trying to obtain better rate for 1st mortgage.  In August while shopping aroung for mortgages, had 21 inq.  I thought that those type of inq. would hurt me.  Sent disputes explaining they were all for mortgages.  Deal fell through on house.  No afraid to try on new house I found.

Also.  my 5 yr. $35000 car loan (11/2003) I have paid down to $4300 (less than 6 pmts).  No pmt due until 8/08.  CU told me that if I dont continue making pmts ($747) it could be possibly considered fraud.  I paid ahead and plan to make $400 mo. pmts.  Will make it paid off a original date of 11/08.  Did I make a mistake paying so much ahead?

Thanks for any advice.  You people rock!

Senior Contributor
imducky

Re: utl - each card or overall?

util is factored for both indv and total accounts. as for the car wow, seems like they are being weird. did you sign a prepayment penalty? which cu is it?
Established Member
robywater

I don't believe there is prepayment penalty.  I was trying to get balance low enough to have $747 pmt excluded from debt ratio on when applying for mortgage.  Since it is less than 6 pmts, some mortgage companies will exlcude it.

I have an installment loan at same cu.  They say they are cross collateralized. Does that mean even if I pay off the car, then they can keep me from trading for new one as long as installment loan and cu cc have balances?

I didnt understnd this when I Installement loan and cc.

It is Public Employees Credit Union in Austin, Tx.
Senior Contributor
imducky

wow, first i heard of the cross colat product.

as for util, installment accounts are scored differently. the whole util at 1-9% per card and overall w/less than half reporting at any given time is the sweet spot for fico revolving accounts.
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}