Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what does less than 10% really mean?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what does less than 10% really mean?

dumb question but is 9.7% *less* than 10% in a credit bureau's definition?  29.9%<30%?

i know the UTIL rules, but wondering if i need to be at 9.0, or if 9.9 is okay, or 9.4 if rounding down, etc...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: what does less than 10% really mean?

@Anonymous wrote:

dumb question but is 9.7% *less* than 10% in a credit bureau's definition?  29.9%<30%?

i know the UTIL rules, but wondering if i need to be at 9.0, or if 9.9 is okay, or 9.4 if rounding down, etc...

Utilization is always rounded up for scoring so for example anything over 9% (9.1, 9.5, 9.8) is scored as 10%.

Does that answer your question?

ETA: And no it's not a dumb question.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Utilization is always rounded up for scoring so for example anything over 9% (9.1, 9.5, 9.8) is scored as 10%.

Does that answer your question?

ETA: And no it's not a dumb question.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Just curious as to how you determined this?

Message 3 of 7
GregB
Valued Contributor

FWIW, I always notice that it seems to be rounded up. I can't say I've seen a tiny bit more rounded up but I have seen amounts WAY below the mid point rounded up.

EG: 9.23% rounded to 10%

From that I would guess that 9.1% would also round up and also guess that 9.01% is likely to round up also.

Anyone have any proof of anything rounded down?

Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Wolf3 wrote:

Just curious as to how you determined this?

From reading lots of older posts and from my own experience. There have been times that my utilization was actually lower than 1% but it has always reported as if it were 1%.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just one of the joys in the FICO world.

Utilization is always rounded up. 

AAofA is always rounded down.

Being a girl, my given age is always 100% accurate!  Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 7
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

A recent TU report of mine listed 9%, while my calculations came up with 9.24%. I don't say this lightly.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.