cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what proportion of balances would hurt fico score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what proportion of balances would hurt fico score?

i have an orchard bank card.
only $300 cl.
it carries $195 (195/300=65%) balance last month and my fico score was hurt by it, it drops from 727 to 696.
this month i pay 10 bucks, so balance is $185 (185/300=61.67%) now. i get a fico score watch alert. it says "You have 1 negative factor(s) no longer hurting your score as much as before: The proportion of balances to credit limits on your revolving accounts is too high ."

my score reaches 727 again. i confused about it, only $10 shift fico score significantly.

Q. what proportion of balances would hurt my score? 61.67% vs 65%......
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what proportion of balances would hurt fico score?

Never go over 50%.

IMHO-anything over 30% starts hurting your score.

You will get another bump in score at 30% and 20% and under 10% with a sweet spot at 1-9%.

I am trying to figure out with your nice score you are letting Orchard mess with your credit score like this?

Get an real card- you deserve it.
Message 2 of 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

You have a 727 and are gaming a $300 Orchard card? Hmm.
Message 3 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

smallfry wrote:
You have a 727 and are gaming a $300 Orchard card? Hmm.

Agreed! Scoes alone the OP should have an easy time with Amex, BoA, Chase, CITI and probably Discover.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks, Smiley Happy

all you're right. i also have cards from citi, boa, etc. but they all have low cl, max is $2,500. high score (7xx of all 3 bureaus) and low cl.

this is a 2% cashback card. i opened it when my fico score was 630 four month ago. i always use it in walmart. 2% cashback is good for walmart, isn't it?

Message Edited by zoymin on 10-15-2007 06:09 PM
Message 5 of 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I'd close that card yesterday. It won't hurt your scores at all. I hate seeing those lines on the report.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi smallfry,
did you ask them to increase your cl? i found it's hard to request cli of hsbc/orchard bank. i even told them i will close my account. but they never minded it.
Message 7 of 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I closed all HSBC products. No point hits at all on any bureau. The only junk I have left is a decent line with Barclays/Juniper and I have a feeling I may lose that once they see two new lines from Citi and Chase.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.