Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what's no-preset limit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what's no-preset limit card

I plan to apply for a new card in some weeks and happen to see the no-preset limit cards. I have two student cards now, one in Boa the other in citi.
Is a no-preset limit card helpful to my credit score?
I like the discover more or airline card, but now they're still far from me.. I don't know whether I should apply for a discover student card (usually low cl) , or citi professional sm (with 10000 thankyou pts bonus)---cl should be higher than a student card, or should I focus on a no-preset limit one?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what's no-preset limit card

No-preset spending limit cards, if they don't report correctly (and many don't) can HURT your score, because they often only report your high balance and not your actual credit limit. Thus if your real limit is 10k and your high balance is 2k, and you monthly spend 1k on it......it will look like you have 50% utility on that card which is BAD.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what's no-preset limit card

Limits are more helpful for credit scores since they show that you can control spending below your card limit. No preset limits generally adjust to your spending for more flexibility if you tend to spend lots more money. Cool to have but not going to gain you more points.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.