cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what's the cheapest way to get your own fico scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what's the cheapest way to get your own fico scores?

hello, i am new here.

I see many people are getting their fico scores (or is it their fako scores?) on a monthly basis. i looked into monitoring my scores and it seems that myFICO gives four quarterly scores with only one credit bureau if you pay around $50. Others seem to give you more frequent fako scores but only if you pay over $10 a month. It seems crazy to me to pay anything at all for your own score (imagine having to pay to get your own grade!?!). 

I'd like to monitor my score. My question to the knowledgeable people on this forum is, what's the cheapest and most reliable way to do that? 

I have been getting my credit reports regularly (for free, of course), but I would like the scores as well.

cheers! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: what's the cheapest way to get your own fico scores?

Buying your FICO score isn't cheap! Always google "myFICO discount codes" first.

The product you were referring to is TU Quarterly monitoring. I personally pull FICO Standard and pull both TU and EQ 2x per month for DW and myself. We are buying a house soon and knowing how the score reacts to this or that is important for us. We want the best rate possible, of course.

We also subscribe to a credit monitoring service (CMS). I use National City's ID Protect and DW uses creditchecktotal (CCT). Of course the scores are FAKOs, but as a change to our reports occurs, and we want to know the impact on our FICO score, then we'll pull the corresponding report to see the impact. IMO, this is the cheapest solution and you won't have to pull your FICO report as often.
Message 2 of 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

If you have all your credit cards cut right around the same time you can get away with a pull each month. Twice monthly? Jeez.
Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

smallfry wrote:
If you have all your credit cards cut right around the same time you can get away with a pull each month. Twice monthly? Jeez.

We both have a few things going on at once including a few of DW's baddies hitting CRTP, old closed accounts approaching the 10 yr mark, account anniversaries, inquiries hitting 1 yr, and utilization that peaked at 80% just a few months ago rapidly dwindling down to $0. I'd like to be able to say that X caused X increase, and Y caused Y increase, etc.

After the home and all of our past transgressions removed, we'll only pull once every 4-6 months.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you so much! that helps a lot. i just hope there will be legislation that lets everyone get a free FICO score annually, just like we can get free credit report annually. 
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You wont see any legislation mandating the provision of free credit scores in your lifetime.  Credit scores are commercial products.  How scores are generated are left entirely up to the commercial vendor of the scores, and are legal trade secrets in the realm of intellectual property law.  There is simply no way for congress to mandate the provision of unregulated, undefined, and proprietary business products to the public.

Especially when represented by a lobby as powerful as the Consumer Data Industry Assoc (CDIA).

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.