Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who is "unreported"?

tag
holhat
Regular Contributor

who is "unreported"?

Hello

I just enrolled in the MyFico Scorewatch and recieved my scores. First of all, the scores differ by 100+ points between Experian and Equifax (didn't do TransUnion yet) and second, all but 3 of my collection accounts say

"The collection agency "701yc00000" was hired to collect a debt of $$ originally owed to "Not Reported" on account number XXXX." 

How am I supposed to know who it is and what it's for??  gggrrrr......Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: who is "unreported"?

When I see this sort of notation, my first thought is medical bill. Did you have any unpaid med. bills?

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Did the CA send you a dunning  letter?  They had to do so under section FDCPA 809 within 5 days of posting to your credit report. That letter must include notice to you that you have the right to request that the CA provide you with the name and address of the OC.  FDCPA 809(a)(5).

You can send this DV letter at any time after they post in your CR, regardless of whether they have "dunned" you.

There should be no reason for the CA not to provide this information.

However, one rub.  DV letters under the FDCPA only shut off collection activity, and do not set a strict period for CA verification back to you. 

So I would also send a dispute to the CRA under section 611(a) of the FCRA, making sure to include in that dispute a request for a description of "the procedure used to determine the accuracy and completeness of the information...including the name and address of any furnisher of information contacted..." See FCRA 611(a)(B)(iii).  FCRA disputes do have a 30-day time limit for verfification, unlike the DV process under the FDCPA/

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Don't do anything until you order your report. Order directly from the CRA (not here). As Byrdman mentioned, often the CA name is masked due to medical. However, I had a Sprint collection that was masked the same way. Ordering the CR directly from the CRA (you can do so for free via annualcreditreport.com) will give you the opportunity to see who it is.

Do not dispute.

If you recognize the listed OC, then wait until you have the $$$ to PIF or SOL expires, then send the DV to the CA. If they verify and you agree with what they produced, then offer a PFD.

Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

And if it is a medical collection, be sure to read the thread about how to handle these before doing anything. It's stickied at the top of the Rebuilding Your Credit board.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
holhat
Regular Contributor

Hello again!

So I followed your advice and got a report from directly from Experian and it is old medical, some past SOL and some close to it.  97% of my report is medical actually, how cool would that be to unload some of that!! 

My question now is how do I deal with the medical that IS NOT past the SOL but from the same CA as the ones that are.....wait??? I don't want the CRA to wake a sleeping giant ya know??  I am a bit confused about the multiple dates on the report anyway but I know that I am not able to PIF on all of them.  THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!

Message Edited by holhat on 12-06-2008 12:17 AM
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.