cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why in my wife's rating higher than mine?

tag
Toller
New Visitor

why in my wife's rating higher than mine?

My rating is 757 and hers is 807.  We own the house jointly and have never had any debt or been late on a bill payment.  Only difference between us is that our ''real'' credit card is in my name and my wife has 4 specialty cards she rarely uses.  Does that accountfor a 50 point difference?

Both fico score from BarclayBank

Since we have the same credit report I assumed we would have the same rating, but apparently not.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: why in my wife's rating higher than mine?

If your wife has four CCs and you have one, I don't think the reports are the same.

Another issue that comes to mind is potential differences in reported utilization of your respective CCs.

Message 2 of 4
Involver
Valued Contributor

Her AAoA and account diversity could differ, which may be the reason for the point difference?

Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@user5387 wrote:

If your wife has four CCs and you have one, I don't think the reports are the same.

Another issue that comes to mind is potential differences in reported utilization of your respective CCs.

+1 regarding utilization but both of their scores are so high it's probably not substantial utilization anyway; DW's payment history likely has a lot more.

@Anonymous said, for FICO scoring a second credit card is effectively a straight positive (though in this case AAoA would change).  @OP: two tradelines is still a thin file, long-term you likely should consider adding another 2 accounts roughly but your score is absolutely excellent anyway so it's not a mandatory thing.  If you finance a car someday that'd be a good one to do in your name or jointly, and if you become interested in credit card rewards you'd likely want another 1-2 cards as well.  

Nothing needs to really be done now though, any new accounts will be a short-term negative, and as stated previously, you have an excellent score regardless.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.