Regular Contributor
let

will a new auto loan hurt my scores?

I finally, got my TU score into the 600's  611 to be exact... I am needing a new car will getting an auto loan hurt my scores?

I have 1 cc with my cu, $1000 limit balance is $130, crown jewelers $2500 limit, and hsbc master card $300 limit no balance on cj or master card.

Frequent Contributor
moondog7324

Re: will a new auto loan hurt my scores?

It may hurt in the short term- but you will show a better mix of credit- that will offset any decrease for age- expect a small jump up when that auto loan reaches 6 months. Don't make decisions based on FICO - unless the score is needed for a specific goal-manage your debt, not your score!

If you need a car- and can afford it, get it. Don't get it as a means of improvng your score- The exception to managing your FICO is if you are going for a mortgage in the near future. Then it is in your best interest to twek scores.

Regular Contributor
let

We have one car under my DH name which I use we both commute to our job, I drive 80 miles round trip 5 days a week and he literally works 7 days a week.Commuting as well.. the little truck that he is driving is pushing 200,000 miles and its not been running well, so a new or  at least a new to us car is really needed ; we just can not be a one car family.  our goal is to get into a house, but we need to have good vehicles to get us back and forth to work.  My TU score finally hit 600 (611) today, so I am just very paranoid about getting any dings.
New Contributor

I got a $13,000 auto loan in January '07 (a little over two years ago).  It dropped FICO by 13 points (a thousand dollars per point?)

I had saved up for the car,  but not enough to pay it outright and keep a financial "cushion" at the same time...so it was paid off by that December (paying interest is also a bit of a pet peeve of  mine).  Once it was paid off the FICO went up about 20 points  (I didn't have a recent installment loan on the CR, so adding a different type of loan account other than revolving cc's must've looked good to them).

Dan

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+