Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will high util on 1 card lead to aa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

will high util on 1 card lead to aa

I'm looking to purchase a scooter this month which'll run about $3900. The only 0% card I have to put it on is my Amex BCE with a $4000 limit. I miscalculated the 3x cli date and the rep said I couldn't reapply for another 90 days.

So, my question is if I use that card it'll report at like 90% util or whatever. I have 11 cards total, all with 0 balance. The 3900 charge will bring my total util across all accounts to 10-15%. 

Do you think a 90+% util on 1 card, 0 balance on 10 cards, and overall util of 10-15% will spook any of my lenders and lead to AA? 

I have the cash to pay for it, but I'd rather use their money for a few months.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: will high util on 1 card lead to aa

I'd be more concerned with Amex than I would be with the other creditors.  Definitely let Amex know up front prior to making the purchase that you're going to make it so they can make a notation on your account so that they don't get spooked.  As long as you pay it off in a couple of cycles I think the chances of your other lenders taking AA are pretty slim if your aggregate utilization stays in the 10%-15% range. 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I'll call them back just before I do it. The woman I spoke with today said it's fine to charge it, then followed that up with 'we can see that you've been managing your cards well." But yeah, good advice to ask them to make a notation.

I probably wouldn't have thought anything of this a few months ago before I started following this forum. haha.

Message 3 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Ask about using the spending power option. If granted, you'd be given permission to temporarily exceed your limit.

Also, double-check on the 90 days to make sure that the previous customer service rep was right. I didn't think people were penalized for applying for CLIs if the only issue was applying too early.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Ask about using the spending power option. If granted, you'd be given permission to temporarily exceed your limit.

Also, double-check on the 90 days to make sure that the previous customer service rep was right. I didn't think people were penalized for applying for CLIs if the only issue was applying too early.

Why would the OP need to exceed credit limit.? Looking to charge $3900 on a 4k card. The OP is concerned with AA from other creditors.

OP it really depends on your profile. Unlikely if other cards dont have high balances.

Message 5 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm looking to purchase a scooter this month which'll run about $3900. The only 0% card I have to put it on is my Amex BCE with a $4000 limit. I miscalculated the 3x cli date and the rep said I couldn't reapply for another 90 days.

So, my question is if I use that card it'll report at like 90% util or whatever. I have 11 cards total, all with 0 balance. The 3900 charge will bring my total util across all accounts to 10-15%. 

Do you think a 90+% util on 1 card, 0 balance on 10 cards, and overall util of 10-15% will spook any of my lenders and lead to AA? 

I have the cash to pay for it, but I'd rather use their money for a few months.

Personally I wouldn't take the chance.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a third "middle" option.  That would be to use the card for most of it and use cash for the remainder.  That way you could keep your card at < 69% utilization if that's a worry for you.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

yep, i'm going to immediately pay off a chunk. Didn't know <69% was where to get. thanks. 

I might call them to ask if they'll approve it on the 3000 limit ED card if i make an immediate $2000 pymt. I'd rather earn the points. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're going to immediately make the payment, I see no worry in maxing out the card for a day or whatever until your payment takes the utilization back down to 50%-69% or whatever.  I would still call CS just to let them know your plan so they can place a notation on your account or whatever, not that I think they'd take AA in a period of 24 hours or so. 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

yea. that wasn't the initial plan when i created this thread, but I did a little research, and combined with responses here I think it's probably the smart thing to do. Still though, I haven't had anymore than 1% report in over a year so I guess i'm concerned with rasing any red flags. but, what's the point of having 0% if not going to use it. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.