Moderator Emerita
LilMirth

Re: Coming Soon: New Member Ranks

mod-moose wrote:

Thank you for your feed back regarding the ranks.  The ranking system is not new to myFICO, this thread was started because we just added some new ranks.  We have received other good feed back on the ranks and as far as I know, they will be remaining. 

Yay!!!!! :smileyhappy:

I like the new ranking system. It's a fun way to acknowledge participation levels! I think that most people recognize it, and appreciate it as just that. Further, I think that most people really do have common sense, and have absolutely no difficulty in correlating the ranks to some level of participation (even without knowing the exact formula), as oposed to some title that's been subjectively bestowed upon them for the purposes of diminishing the contributions of others. I can only recall one or two anomolous instances, in recent history, where any member possibly thought, or actually leveraged (or attempted to, as it turned out) their user rank as something of a baton to club another member with. It actually had more to do with "people can be jerks" than anything else. And, as is most often the case, good sense & reason prevails without regard for how many posts or rank any one user makes. 

As you've mentioned, a ranking system isn't new to the FICO forums, nor is it a "new" concept overall. Of course, there may always be a minority of people who may become... 'overly invested' (for lack of a better term) in "rank" and may come to misassociate it with "status" or "value", but a) they'd be the minority, and b) they probably can't be unconvinced, so c) {{shrug}}. They'll deal with it.

To borrow a term that's frequently kicked around in my field, and amongst my colleagues; It is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't. :smileywink:

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Contributor
Hopelives2

[ Edited ]

LilMirth wrote:  As you've mentioned, a ranking system isn't new to the FICO forums, nor is it a "new" concept overall. 

No, it is not new but the arbitrary, subjective criteria the "staff" decided to use, is not useful or helpful.

And those in power always stick together.  :smileywink:  And always work to quash someone else's differing opinion.

Moderator Emeritus
MarineVietVet

Hopelives2 wrote:

And those in power always stick together.  :smileywink:  And always work to quash someone else's differing opinion.

All of your differing opinions are in full view of everyone. None has been removed. I'm not sure what else can be done to accomodate you or anyone else in their exercise of freedom of expression.

But if others don't happen to agree with your view are they not allowed ( no matter what "rank") to express that view? Surely you would extend that courtesy to all and not reserve it for only yourself?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Moderator Emerita
LilMirth

Hopelives2 wrote:

LilMirth wrote:  As you've mentioned, a ranking system isn't new to the FICO forums, nor is it a "new" concept overall. 

No, it is not new but the arbitrary, subjective criteria the "staff" decided to use, is not useful or helpful.

<sigh>

And, sometimes, those of differing opinions like to imply that there is some "collective" consipiracy, as oposed to simply acknowledging that, gee... I disagree. *Really, most of us can formulate our own opinions and we express them as freely as you express yours. Really. :smileyhappy: Besides, what gave you the idea that the rankings are "arbitrary & subjective"? That's not what Barry said. This is what Barry said:

Barry wrote:

We'll soon be adding 12 new ranks (see below) and a more robust set of ranking criteria that (before you ask) will not be disclosed publicly.  We hope you'll enjoy working your way up through these new ranks.  And thanks to all of you for your contributions to the community!

-Barry

"Arbitrary & subjective" weren't mentioned in Barry's announcement. He said that the ranking criteria "will not be disclosed".

[*Disclaimer: Upon receipt of the agreed upon payment for services rendered, I will summarily suppress my own opinion, in deference for that of the highest bidder, advancing whichever "party line" is most lucrative to my bottom line.]

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Valued Contributor
p-

[ Edited ]

Hopelives2 wrote:

I disagree.  We're not here discussing politics or religion or some other topic where anyone's opinion might be right.  We're all here to compare notes and factual evedence to help each other with our credit.  Some people's opinions do have more value, in that they come with experience solving credit problems.  By showing a member ranking, the site is doing two things.  First, they are allowing us to see who has more experience discussing and self-educating here on the forums.  Second, it motivates some users to interact more.  This is good because you will get more answers to your questions.

It sound's like you really want to stick it to the man and beat those in power.  Well, here on this site you will find most of the information you need in order to do so.  Is the man keeping you down with a credit score?  Turn the liability into an assett...

I've never had my opinions squashed on this board...  But I did get auto bleeped a few times for mild expletives.

2-13-14: FICO EXP: 779 - EQU: 742 - TRAN: 765 - AVG: 762 - +212 points from JUN 2008 - MY CREDIT JOURNAL

Contributor
BoSox617

p- wrote:

We're all here to compare notes and factual evedence to help each other with our credit.  Some people's opinions do have more value, in that they come with experience solving credit problems.  By showing a member ranking, the site is doing two things.  First, they are allowing us to see who has more experience discussing and self-educating here on the forums.  Second, it motivates some users to interact more.  This is good because you will get more answers to your questions.

With all due respect, I do not care for the member ranking system, but I do appreciate the difficulty in creating such a scheme.  Folks are going to have different opinions regarding what constitutes valid criteria, and there is no “one size pleases all” formula.

I am interested in content – rank and post count have nothing to do with this, so I disregard them.  Just because someone is an “experienced poster”, does not mean that their comments should be given greater weight.  It is not difficult to find examples of posters with high post counts who post misinformation, regularly post a significant number of comments without any substance, or post “questionable” content.  There are also examples of folks with low post counts, who make very insightful, well-thought out posts. 

The updated ranking system does not motivate me to increase my participation, but it does make me a little wary that folks might increase the number of “fluff” posts, in the hopes that they might upgrade their rank.  But "fluff" is common in online fora whether there is a ranking system or not, so I’m not too worried about it.  A little time and observation are all you need to “separate the wheat from the chaff”.  An ignore button also would also be nice :smileywink: LOL

Moderator Emeritus
beamMEup

BoSox617 wrote:

A little time and observation are all you need to “separate the wheat from the chaff”.  

+1.  Well put!

Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
Valued Contributor
Mustanglvr2006

BoSox617 wrote:

p- wrote:

We're all here to compare notes and factual evedence to help each other with our credit.  Some people's opinions do have more value, in that they come with experience solving credit problems.  By showing a member ranking, the site is doing two things.  First, they are allowing us to see who has more experience discussing and self-educating here on the forums.  Second, it motivates some users to interact more.  This is good because you will get more answers to your questions.

With all due respect, I do not care for the member ranking system, but I do appreciate the difficulty in creating such a scheme.  Folks are going to have different opinions regarding what constitutes valid criteria, and there is no “one size pleases all” formula.

I am interested in content – rank and post count have nothing to do with this, so I disregard them.  Just because someone is an “experienced poster”, does not mean that their comments should be given greater weight.  It is not difficult to find examples of posters with high post counts who post misinformation, regularly post a significant number of comments without any substance, or post “questionable” content.  There are also examples of folks with low post counts, who make very insightful, well-thought out posts. 

The updated ranking system does not motivate me to increase my participation, but it does make me a little wary that folks might increase the number of “fluff” posts, in the hopes that they might upgrade their rank.  But "fluff" is common in online fora whether there is a ranking system or not, so I’m not too worried about it.  A little time and observation are all you need to “separate the wheat from the chaff”.  An ignore button also would also be nice :smileywink: LOL

Very well said!!!!!

I too like the new layout, its always nice to see a change, and this change has been a nice change IMO.

Great job and Thank you to the MyFico Staff!!!!!!!

Starting Score: 583
Current Score: 3-03-12-EQ-802 TU-806 EX-798 (EQ Beacon 9: 804 Lender Pull 3-08-12) All FICO's
Goal Score: 800+ across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Established Member
melrobinson1

This is awesome!

:smileytongue:

2012 - THE YEAR OF HOMEOWNERSHIP!
"Keeping my eye on the prize"
Administrator Emeritus
mod-moose

Barry wrote:

p- wrote:

mod-moose wrote:

p- wrote:

MarineVietvet wrote:
From what I understand it will still be the same 500 post level it is currently.

Guess I'd better type faster....  

Before the new ranks were introduced a user needed 500 post to get the custom avatar.  We didn't change that because we didn't want anyone to lose the ability to change their custom avatar, however there is more to the new formula than just posts so posting to just rank up won't work. 

Lol, I won't be posting just to rank up...  I've been here since 2008 and I'm less than halfway to the 500 mark, so that would take a while.  I honestly don't care much what my rank is, but I do think it would be neat to be able to customize my avatar.  My suggestions to the admin would be to relax the custom avatar qualification requirements.

Based on the current frequency of posts, I will likely achieve perfect credit before I achieve a custom avatar....  Pretty funny considering I started here in the low 500's.

You make a great point, p-.  I agree this is something we should -- and will -- consider for those of you continue to be invaluable members of the community despite not having the post count of some others.  Thanks for the suggestion!

-Barry

Hi p-,

Thanks to your suggestion we have now enabled Frequent Contributor to upload their own images as an avatar!  You can read about how to do change your avatar on the new Frequent Contributor and custom avatar  topic. 

Enjoy!

mod.moose

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+