cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Cards for Rewards towards our 15th Anniversary Cruise!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Cards for Rewards towards our 15th Anniversary Cruise!!

Any insight would be fantastic!!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Cards for Rewards towards our 15th Anniversary Cruise!!

This is a broad question. Where do you live? What kind of trip are you interested in?

Cruises tend not to benefit from the vast array of awards as flights, hotels, etc do. There is one cruise card, Carnival, but the signup bonus isn't that great.

Depending on where you live you might have to fly to reach the port for your cruise, so maybe a good airline card would at least cover that part of the trip? A lot of cruises leave from Florida so maybe an airline that will get you to the port (AA for Miami, Southwest or Jet Blue from Ft. Lauderdale)

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

without further ado... here are the cruise cards!!! edit: just kidding OP. don't go applying for these cards not unless you've looked into them and that you really want to. 

*you really should give more info. just saying. Smiley Tongue anyhow, congratulations on your anniversary! 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

We live in Ohio and will fly to Florida! I am speaking in general..Flight, hotel and possible cruise!
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is no one else reading the OP's signature?

(Mod Cut-NonFSR)

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Following along. Wife and I decided to do something big for our 10th...we have 5 years to get some good rewards!

Congrats on 10 years!

Message 6 of 12
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe OP's SO has excellent credit?

To answer OP: are you applying for this card or your significant other? You could try for an airline card (what airline would work for you?) or you can look at UR/MR points and see if those are okay. Otherwise, a faux travel card like Venture or Arrival+ with a good sign-up bonus could work. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callandra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe OP's SO has excellent credit?

To answer OP: are you applying for this card or your significant other? You could try for an airline card (what airline would work for you?) or you can look at UR/MR points and see if those are okay. Otherwise, a faux travel card like Venture or Arrival+ with a good sign-up bonus could work. 

Well, if that's the case, I'd point out that most cobrand cruise cards offer a poor cpp value. Celebrity Cruises from BofA may be an exception for the better, but that's more if someone has decent status from past cruises. Getting the best value on a cruise often requires shopping around and can require creative booking (portals, agents, etc.). I wouldn't want to be stuck trying to redeem a lot of points where my only options are overpriced.

As such, I'd suggest a card that gives travel statement credits like Arrival/Venture/BofA Travel...or just general unrestricted cash back. I can't think of any ways to use MRs or URs efficiently for a cruise. CSP is also an option for the 20% off award travel.

Again, this is under the assumption that it won't actually be the OP applying.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are going to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic in June. We bought a bundled pkg with flight and all inclusive resort.  Last February, my husband got the cap 1 Venture card. The initial bonus was equivalent to $400. We didn't use the card exclusively but we still ended up with a $1700 worth of credit towards our trip.  Look into travel cards with nice bonuses if you can meet the 3 month spend requirements.  Chase Sapphire Preferred - 50k miles bonus; Cap 1 Venture - 40k bonus miles, Barclay's arrival plus - 40k bonus miles

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That 1700 came from spending strictly or more than 1 bonus just curious?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.