Re: Hop in! On my way to a 100k!
04-03-2012 07:56 AM
The first week has successfully passed.
- I had to stick to my guns about the laundry. DH wanted to use the dryers at the Laundromat last time we went. Since he went with me and really wanted to do it, I said it was ok but he needed to realize that it would use up the rest of our laundry money up. That meant no more laundry before payday. He said ok. Hahahaha – a week later he’s talking about going to do laundry. I had to be VERY firm and say NO. There is no money. You have to wait until payday. He grumbled…he likes laundry done every week, not every two weeks. But he made his choice – to use the dryer.
- Reorganized the kitchen cabinets. Turns out I had more food than I thought! So with some creativity, I have managed to stretch the food money through to payday. I admit, it’s getting harder and harder to do this, but I am trying. I chopped up the last two onions, put them in the crockpot, added some veggie broth and spices…and later the last of the tomatoes…made a great onion soup that has lasted 3 meals! Took the last 3 potatoes and made them into hash browns. Breakfast was hash browns and an apple. Now I am snacking on the candied giner. (oh. joy.)
- Work sprung a "work meal" meeting. Oh. Joy. Which means eating out. Although it's a work expense, it comes out of the food budget becuase it happens in the here and the now. Thank goodness we were stretching the food in the house! We barely -- and I do mean BARELY -- have enough to attend the mandatory meeting and make the mandatory food purchases. (They require everyone order. No exceptions.) We will go light, skimpy, eat before hand, and do the bare minimum.
- In the process of looking for “something” (screws, I think) I found things I could freecycle AND things I could return to the store for a gift card!! Weu weu!
- The items I needed, but didn’t have, I told DH we had two choices – wait until the end of the month payday when there was new money in the budget for “household” stuffs or we had to do enough returns for a store credit. Luckily, we had enough returns for a store credit to cover everything we needed. Yeah!
- Informed DH that if there is any food cash money left over come payday, it goes into our 100 grand plan. His eyes got bigger – “Really??” Yeppers! So he is much more a partner now about eating in.
- Found some money on the ground (21 cents) and that is being applied to the 100k.
- Received a gift of $25 – that is going towards the plan of a 100 grand.
- Mapped out payday money. It's tight, but sticking to the goal of paying myself first.
So this past week was baby steps.