Blogger
FrugalRican
Re: Hop in! On my way to a 100k!

IOBA wrote:

I went to the bank today to get cash.  Their computer system was down and she said I could not have any cash because the check I was depositing was no good (because she couldn’t verify it) and she didn’t know if I have enough money on my account.   (eye roll – for real?)    Then she told me to go use my ATM card to get cash from the cash machine and it MIGHT work.   Um, if the computer system is down, how will their ATM be able to check my bank balance?  It’s on the same network!   I looked at her and said I don’t have an ATM card.  She was shocked!!  Lol – well, I really don’t have one.   Makes it easy to get cash or to spend.

• On the same note (this is important cuz we are going to visit friends, go to a graduation, and then TDY, so we will be on the road for the next week and half, thus the cash) – I asked DH how we are going to eat on the road all day with only $10.   I wish you guys could have seen his face.  It was precious.  I am sure all those cups of coffee flashed before his eyes…so did his large Angus value meal…and chocolate chip cookies.   He sighed.  He looked at the pile of things I had pulled out of the cabinets and said, “I guess I can eat that. “  Lol – is there something wrong with candied ginger, pumpkin seeds, and rice crackers??  I think not!   So he actually, kinda got into planning out some of his meals for the week.   FrugalRican – be proud of me now – I reminded him he could have a free breakfast at the hotel and make his lunch with the breakfast fixings.  J   That means planning dinner with ten bucks – totally doable.   And he suggested we bring the crockpot.   I could have wept.  I am usually the food planner and packer and cooker.

Actually wanted to chime in about the ATM.

It actually isn't on the same network. You could lose the system internally at the bank, but the ATM is its own independent teller and its own independent system.

You just might not be able to see a balance on the transaction that reflects the actual balance at the time of the withdrawal. I've seen it happen a ton of times where tellers couldn't access their in-house system for these purposes, but the ATM worked just fine. It's a sucky setup though.

And looks like he is starting to fall into line with the planning.

I had a had time convincing DGF of this at first, but then she realized that taking some of the english muffins and wrapping it up with some of the other stuff from the breakfast, actually worked out quite okay. It's there and if it doesn't get consumed, it usually gets thrown out, so it's to your advantage!

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)