xopher26
Re: Wedding debt..

Isaiah2990 wrote:
So me and my gf were talking about marriage and how much wedding expenses would cost..she said no more than 10k.. in my opinion I feel that it will cost more than that and I think that is too much already..we already have to pay back student loans when we graduate, I feel like this will be adding on to it..she says her parents and grand parents will help pay for it..but I honestly don't see anything wrong with getting married at a courthouse and then having a really nice reception and honeymoon..and I wouldnt want it to be a financial burden on them anyway..what are some good suggestions ?

I think you are exactly right.  Maybe its because I'm a guy, but I really never saw the purpose of blowing thousands, even tens of thousands dollars on a wedding when the same thing can be accomplished at your local courthouse.  Plus with you just getting out of college and possibly years of student loan debt to pay back, it wouldn't make much sense to add wedding expenses to your debt.  Regardless of her parents and grandparents would help pay for it I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on a ceremony that will more than likely have ungrateful and critical guests anyway. I'm getting a little off track here, but the courthouse idea sounds practical. I would also forgo the reception as well.  If I really wanted to celebrate, then just have a get together at my home. 

My personal opinion is that I think weddings and receptions are a waste of money especially considering that half of marriages fail anyway.  If you two are together 10 - 15 years from your wedding and you are in a better financial position to still really want and pay for a wedding (yourselves), then by all means go for it.  But to pile on debt straight out of college is not smart financially. 

It took me a little over 10 years to pay off my student loans, (sent them a check last year to pay of the remaining 33 months), also was able to pay off my cars early as well. Had I had a wedding and reception to pay for during that time then I wouldn't have been able to do this.