Regular Contributor
Re: Boyfriend wants to sign up for utility - gets hit with security fees

Steelersfan904 wrote:

I can't remember if I saw it or not but didnt she gave him the credit cards also? She obviously doesn't trust him to pay the bills is my point so if you dont trust somebody to pay their bill why wouldnt you let them possibly run up a credit card in their name. I get that you have to protect yourself and I don't know how old the OP is but if she has known this dude for over 11 years and been together for 4 years and she cant trust him then there is a bigger problem that is all I am saying

I gave him ONE card, with a safe $500 limit (5 year old CapOne card with a limit that doesn't budge.) The AMEX & Citi cards are NOT in his possession. I capped the AMEX so that even if he had it, he couldn't charge more than $200. I called Citi multiple times to make sure that he couldn't get another card sent out without my knowing about it.

I trust him emotionally. However, I don't think that I should be blind to the fact that he has had financial/credit issues in the past. That would be VERY naive of me. Before I found this board a few years ago, I was in the same boat. Would I have trusted myself 5 or 10 years ago with the credit I have now? I don't think so.

BTW - I'm 31, he's 32. We met when we were both in college.

Hard work & patience can go a long way!
8/2009 (myFICO): TU - 599, EQ - 656
7/23/2010 (LO pull): TU - 738, EQ - 801, EX - 785
4/12/2012 (myFICO): TU -778, EQ - 791