Moderator Emeritus
webhopper
Re: Unmarried couple buying house

drkaje wrote:

@ MissExcellentCredit,

You somehow managed to neatly sum up what was bothering me about the whole situation before I even figured it out.

Women really are smarter than us men, LOL!

Funny thing is, I would have never figured out why the idea felt icky. Seeing it in black and white makes me go "Jeez, Jake! The whole point of a girlfriend is you don't lose half your crap if it's time to make a change!". I can't imagine intentionally putting the kids in moving or changing homes again

Thank you! I'm not necessarily happy about finally getting it but am glad to understand things better. :smileyhappy:

My current husband and I were dating when I was house hunting.  I was buying the house for me and my daughter to live in, and as we weren't married, I wanted something that I could afford on my own.  We knew we would get married, and we are married now, but I felt more comfortable buying the house on my own and co-habiting until we both felt comfortable taking the plunge.  Oklahoma is also a seperate property state, and I pay the mortgage and provided the down payment from my own funds... so there is also some protection there as far as assets if we were to ever split.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge