Carly
Re: Take the FICO Fitness Challenge for 2011!

1.  Your FICO score goal for 2011:  725

2.  Your current FICO score(s):  678

3.  The steps you plan to take to achieve your goal:  Pay down existing debt!

I have a child with serious health issues and, while there is health insurance, there are still co-pays, prescription costs, premiums, etc.  I make too much money to qualify for any governmental aid and my lovely ex-husband cannot seem to hold a job so child support is non-existent.  Since I'm the one who foots the entire medical bill, as well as the mortgage,  food, clothing, etc. bills, it has necessitated the use of credit cards for everyday items such as gas and groceries.  My goal is to NOT rely so much on credit.  I DO get a substantial sized tax refund because I claim zero exemptions throughout the year.  Yes, I know that logic states to mazimize my deductions to avoid giving the government an interest-free loan but I am not disciplined enough to take the extra money that I would receive every payday and put it to good use.  However, give me a nice lump sum when I do my taxes and I WILL put it to good use and pay down some cards.

Now that my children are growing by leaps and bounds (teenager and tweeenager), I am far less interested in having the latest and greatest new shoes and far more interested in making sure that my house is well-maintained so that I can keep the value up as high as possible in this pitiful economy.  While I am happily divorced, I will admit to at times wishing that someone else would take over my finances for me.  I'm a boss at my job, the boss at home and sometimes I just wish I didn't have to be the one in charge.  *sniff*

"Teach your children while they're young--have them save at least half of all monetary gifts/earning so they can learn to appreciate the value of fiscal responsibility."