Moderator Emeritus
beamMEup
Re: Take the FICO Fitness Challenge for 2011!

marinevietvet wrote:

helaurin wrote:

And I just found out that I missed a payment last week when I was in the hospital, so we'll see how bad that hurts.

This won't show on your reports unless it's more than 30 days past due. Late payment fees will probably be charged though.

Good point!  Helaurin, if you were in the hospital, consider contacting the creditor immediately and explain.  They may be willing to reverse any late fees and/or the reporting of the late even on internal records.  And I hope all things that brought you to the hospital are on the mend and doing fine.

This, believe it or not, is one of the reasons I pay my bills early and/or have them on auto payments.....JIC!  Kinda like when your mom told you to wear clean undies everyday....JIC.  I do it JIC my computer is down, JIC I forget, JIC I'm in the ER, JIC my brain cell warps, JIC I spend the money on something else absent-mindedly.  Mostly because I've had things happen before and now I find I tend to pay early JIC. 

In Liz Pulliam Weston's book, "Easy Money," one thing she covers is making the budget and bill paying "as simple as possible and as automatic as possible -- the book has completely left behind the old check register system and enthusiastically endorses online banking and automatic bill pay as much as and wherever possible (and she reminds us that it is possible with so many banks that you really should just find one that lets you do what you need)." 

After resisting this technique (I'm getting old enough where I find I sometimes hate to change things up), I've adapted her system - I think she's on to something.

Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.