Valued Contributor
Re: How can i get finance company to slash APR?

Actually unless your loan is structured with some kind of prepayment penalty just putting a large payment on it around tax time will significantly reduce the interest you are paying over the life of the loan. I did this a few years ago with a Cap 1 auto loan that was at 22%. I paid down a couple thousand in one payment. Now Cap 1 came back and said "You don't need to make another payment until XX/XX/XXXX" in other words they just credited it as regular payment for the next 10 months and said I didn't need to pay again until month 11.

What I did instead was just keep making the regular monthly payments until the loan was finally paid off early. It saved a lot of interest on the balance paid down with the lump sum payment. Check your loan docs. If it is just a normal simple interest loan with a high interest rate this can work for you too. I won't even begin to try and figure out what interest I (or you) save but if you put all the numbers up (Current balance, interest rate, remaining term, proposed lump sum) one of the Excel geeksSmiley Tongue will quickly tell you what you save.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge