Contributor
carolina98
Re: when to stop paying on stuff before filing ch7

I kept my bills current up to filing. Can't say it helped me any with my score. It may help if anyone looks at my payment history and sees that their were  paid. But the credit reports seem to black out my good credit history on accounts in BK, showing them only as negative accounts.

What I would say is if you have any small accounts, you might pay those off so as not to include them in BK. The more accounts you include in BK, the more it hurts you, it seems. I found this out after the fact. I was advised of this by TransUnion and a FICO rep raised the same issue regarding the number of accounts in BK affecting my score, despite my excellent payment history. Had I known this, I would have paid off two accounts of less than $500 each, leaving me with still more than $30K in cc debt to include in BK. It would have been worth it to pay them off, but I didn't know about it at the time.

As hard as BK was, I'm still glad I did it and wish only I had done it much sooner rather than paying out thousands in cc payments, killing myself doing it, only to ultimately end up in BK. I could have saved myself a lot of money and stress by doing it sooner.