New Visitor
tesnomom
Re: identity theft and closing credit accounts
Wow, who knew there were many out there who would reply to a Christmas morning query!  Thank you very much for all the excellent advice.  The more I read, the more I realize I know nothing about credit cards, FICO scores etc. and I really don't want to make a part time job out of this. In Oprah magazine Suze Orman said to know my score so I checked it out with the free trial offer.  I wondered about my FICO score because I've been hearing a lot about it on the news and how important it is.  I was happy to learn that my equifax score was 764 and that that is a great score.  I'd like to keep it that way.  I was hoping that getting rid of every card except for my one VISA and my daily debit card would just give me peace of mind that if I lost my wallet or was robbed it would be one less vendor I'd have to contact etc.   I'm trying to simplify life and just want to avoid a hassle.  So now I've got to spend some time learning about UTIL and figure out how to strategically close these open accounts.  Even the Old Navy store card now is a VISA.  I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go about closing these accounts and I'll be watching the score watch.   By the way, at Christmas family party yesterday I heard about a friend who had her purse stolen after she locked it in the car when she went into the gym.  She had recently gotten a new debit card and stupidly wrote the PIN on the corner of the envelope holding it.  She had several credit cards stolen, and the social security cards of all her children.  Within a day she was 27,000 in debt, and her linked accounts with that debit card were drained of $6000.  For three weeks she's been going through hell and just the stress alone has diminished her spirit.  UGH!   Anyway, again, thank you for sharing your knowledge.