Established Contributor
PurpleHaze
Re: USAA Now Opening Membership to Non-Miltary (w/exclusions)

y0rascal wrote:
i tried calling and was told this is to family members of military, maybe the rep was not up to date with this. has anyone else with a non military background or no military family members able to join? if so let me know who to talk to, i would def like to get in...

I opened my checking/savings accounts the day I posted the information. My co-worker, who is a longtime member, let me know about open membership on Wednesday. I called to open my accounts 2-days later.  He was informed by a phone representative as well. Sounds like the representative isn't up to date. What number did you call?

Starting Score: EQ: 633 (12/31/09) TU: 651 (12/31/09)
Current Score: EQ:633 TU: 651
Goal Score: EQ: 700 TU:700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
txjohn

smallfry wrote:
My son has an account with them and he is active Navy. I do not think I can join according to the website.

small -  If you want to join, this might work by adding you as a family member to your son's existing account.

1.  Have your son login to his online USAA.com account, and then have him:

2.  Select MY PROFILE -> MANAGE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION

3.  Scroll to the bottom of the screen to where it says FAMILY MEMBER INFORMATION

4.  CLICK on ADD FAMILY MEMBER

5.  It will provide a DROP menu asking for family relationship.  Select PARENT from the menu.

6.  A form will appear asking for the parent information, including name, ssn and dob.  Enter & click NEXT.

7.  Follow the prompts and enter the info.

8.  If successful, all family members are issued a USAA number, which will be visible in the

MY PROFILE -> MANAGE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION area of your son's online account.

9.  If successful, you are in the USAA system with an assigned USAA number.  If you click on JOIN USAA and enter your SSN, it should recognize you ans tell you that you are all ready in the system and to REGISTER as USAA.com.

10.  If you cannot complete the registration process (usaa.com, click log on, then click register), it will give you an 800 number to call for assistance.  Call it and see if they can complete the process.

I'm not 100% sure of the outcome, but the ADD MEMBER definitely has PARENT.

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Regular Contributor
y0rascal
i called the main number, i will try again in a few days
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup
I called them the day this thread started to clarify my husband's membership status, and here's what I was told (I was asking if he was a "full" member in his own standing):

A spouse or child (aka, grown-up child) of a member can become a full member. A parent can't, and I'm pretty sure a sibling can't. I do think that they're eligible for some products though.

And she did tell me to check the My Profile section to see if he was listed there, and if he has a membership number showing. He is, and he does. Oddly, the kids and my mother are all listed there, too, but their numbers don't display, yet they are full members as well.

This sort of only-during-a-full-moon-in-months-that-contain-the-letter-R thing is why I recommend joining USAA whenever you can squeeze in, even if you might be in a limited category. You never know when you'll suddenly be eligible for the full thing. I was a member from the time my dad signed me up at age 18, and I barely used it except for a brief auto insurance policy until I was in my late forties, but it was all there waiting on me when I decided to open a checking account, complete with the original 7-digit membership number, beginning with 210.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Regular Contributor
y0rascal
purple do you have any family in the military? or are you in the military? is this open for regular civilians with no military ties? after you opened your account was it closed a few days later? due to not meeting the requirements?
Senior Contributor
smallfry
John I will try that. He is home for a few more days then back to the grind in Hawaii. Hard life. 
Regular Contributor
hemi961
Re: USAA Now Opening Membership to Nonmilitary (w/exclusions)

I called the day I read this thread.  I didn't ask if I could become a member, but asked if they offered checking and savings accounts to those who didn't qualify for membership through the military or family members.  The person was very helpful and within about 5 minutes I had a checking and savings account opened along with the account numbers.  It takes a mastercard to fund the accounts and since I have both credit and debit mastercards it wasn't a problem.  He was going to transfer me to the investment and life insurance representatives but I ran out of time and will have to call back.  I went online and set up my id and password.  I too checked all the products offered and the only one that comes up from a credit card standpoint is the platinum mastercard.  It was a good experience and I plan on building a long term relationship with them.  I'm not in need of another credit card but might look into it sometime in the future. 

Senior Contributor
txjohn

haulingthescoreup wrote:
I called them the day this thread started to clarify my husband's membership status, and here's what I was told (I was asking if he was a "full" member in his own standing):

A spouse or child (aka, grown-up child) of a member can become a full member. A parent can't, and I'm pretty sure a sibling can't. I do think that they're eligible for some products though.

And she did tell me to check the My Profile section to see if he was listed there, and if he has a membership number showing. He is, and he does. Oddly, the kids and my mother are all listed there, too, but their numbers don't display, yet they are full members as well.

This sort of only-during-a-full-moon-in-months-that-contain-the-letter-R thing is why I recommend joining USAA whenever you can squeeze in, even if you might be in a limited category. You never know when you'll suddenly be eligible for the full thing. I was a member from the time my dad signed me up at age 18, and I barely used it except for a brief auto insurance policy until I was in my late forties, but it was all there waiting on me when I decided to open a checking account, complete with the original 7-digit membership number, beginning with 210.

My father, in the past, was added to my insurance as an "additional driver" listed on the policy.  The combination of ADD FAMILY MEMBER and him being on a policy may provide better odds, because one of the qualifications is for those who have had past insurance with USAA.

Again, can't make any guarantees, but something to think on :smileyhappy:

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

txjohn wrote:

My father, in the past, was added to my insurance as an "additional driver" listed on the policy.  The combination of ADD FAMILY MEMBER and him being on a policy may provide better odds, because one of the qualifications is for those who have had past insurance with USAA.

Again, can't make any guarantees, but something to think on :smileyhappy:

Thanks for mentioning the insurance angle!

I remember one CSR saying that even for active duty service members who think they aren't interested, if they'd just get a renter's policy for $10, that would make them eligible for everything in the future.

So that's another thing to look for: a chance to get some sort of insurance product from them. That was their original business when they started out, and they seem to put a lot of weight upon it.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Established Contributor
PurpleHaze

y0rascal wrote:
purple do you have any family in the military? or are you in the military? is this open for regular civilians with no military ties? after you opened your account was it closed a few days later? due to not meeting the requirements?

Applied as a "civilian."  When you call you are provided your customer number and must fund the account with $25. They ask if you want checking savings or both. You can provide transfer the funds electronically by providing checking account information or use a credit card.  If you dont have either available, you set up the account online and then set up to transfer funds.

Again, they are opening up membership with exclusions.  It is not a full membership. You will only have access to checking savings and credit card products. Insurance and loan products are not available to these conditional accounts at this time, but my thought is get in. You never know how/when things may change. Who would have thought they would open up to non-military?

Starting Score: EQ: 633 (12/31/09) TU: 651 (12/31/09)
Current Score: EQ:633 TU: 651
Goal Score: EQ: 700 TU:700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge