Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup
Re: Reopened Macy's account still showing 'Closed' by TU in TC 3-in-1 report

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

writemikep wrote:

Yes.  The TL in my first post is from my TransUnion credit report pulled last night, after they say the dispute was investigated.  Notice the TL doesn't have a 'Remark: Account closed by consumer' line (which would appear below the Loan Type, and just before the History section, when we close an account).  So I'm assuming the 'Date Closed' entry is confusing TrueCredit.  TransUnion says the account is open.  Bizarre (since TC is TU, right?)

This is correct. Since they claim it is verified as open I would dispute again and ask, "Well if you verifed this account is open why are you reporting a closed date." Hopefully the next clerk will fix it correctly.

TC is owned by TU, but it's still a third-party service. Things might show up one way on a TC report that won't necessarily look the same as on the full report directly from TransUnion.

Whenever a third-party service republishes credit reports, it's like a translator at a foreign press conference. They do their best to repeat what's on the original, but sometimes things take a surprising turn. Info doesn't necessarily show up correctly on the third-party service.

For instance, Equifax accounts on third-party reports almost never have reported dates. They might have X X X for each month instead of green boxes or whatever. My guess is that this is because EQ displays update info as MM/YYYY instead of MM/DD/YYYY like the other two, so the info doesn't flow over properly.

Someone once posted that the technical term for this is that the data is not mapping properly. This sounds very mysterious and authoritative, so I like to repeat it. :smileyvery-happy:
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007