New Contributor
readyfireaim
Re: Chase Credit Card Application Status
[ Edited ]

Called 1-888-245-0625 today to check on the status of my Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card and was told that I was denied due to a $773 charge-off more than 10 years ago. I explained to the rep that I got the card when I was a freshman in college and that my Dad took the card from me because I wasn't using it responsibly and I didn't have any income other than my financial aid overage check (all true). My Dad has the same name as I do (i'm the 3rd) and knew my SSN and basically kept the card and used it as his own, supposedly helping me build my credit... until he ran into hard times of his own and got my account charged-off.

I explained to the rep that the company I work with has switched our corporate travel to Southwest Airlines (a bit of a stretch... I do fly for work, but we book our own flights and get reimbursed afterward) and that having this card would be great for me as well as Chase. I let him know that I PIF to the CA and expressed a desire to establish goodwill with Chase and get a fresh start with a great company. (kiss-kiss-smooch-smooch)

He asked me a few questions, verifying information from my application... the main questions were about whether I rent or own, the amount I pay for my home, the length of time I've lived here, and how long I've worked at my current job. He also reviewed my current portflio of cards and noted the low & zero balances on each. After those questions, he put me on hold and I had my fingers crossed.

Once he came back, he told me that he can't guarantee that I will be approved, but if I was definitely declined, he would tell me now. He said to be on the lookout for a letter from Chase in the mail. First, I'll get the original decline letter that I can ignore.  Then, I'm not sure if he said I'd get another letter stating that I'm being reconsidered... then get a third letter that says that I'm declined or receive a welcome packet & acceptance letter. I might have been confused about getting that second letter; perhaps the second mailing will be the declination or the welcome packet.

FYI, I didn't wait to get my original decline letter to call the backdoor number. I applied on 5/1 in the afternoon and have called every day since, just to check on my app status. Today was the first day that I was told I was declined, instead of hearing that I was under review.

I feel much better after having today's conversation and am happy that I've already started the recon process 3 days after my app. If not for this forum, I would not have known about this phone number, this process, nor had my credit profile prepared in a manner that would give me a decent shot at overcoming the Chase blacklist.

Thanks again

ReadyFireAim

Starting Scores: EQ 697 (4/3/12) / TU 683 (4/3/12) / EX FICO 643 (3/16/12)
Current Scores: EX FICO 751 (7/25/12 Bellco CU) / EQ 735 (8/1/12) / TU 734 (8/1/12) /
Baddies: One 30 Day Late - Installment Loan (10/2011)
Cards:Costco AMEX $19500, Bellco Platinum Visa $10000, Discover More $9000, Chase Southwest Premier $5000, Delta Gold AMEX $2000, Merrick Bank Visa $1850, Orchard Bank Secured $500, ZYNC
Goal Score: 760+