Valued Member
ssp
Closed A Card & Score Increased ;-)

It was one of my secured cards with a 600 cl and about to turn a year old. I didn't think it would have an affect on my score at all but it actually increased it by 8 points!

I am happy to be on my way back to where I was before the mini app spree:smileyembarrassed:which was 804. All accounts are reporting a zero balance and I am staying in the garden for a couple of years. I will focus on building business credit during that time

TU 792 EQ 782
*In The Garden*

Frequent Contributor
BigDaddy18
Re: Closed A Card & Score Increased ;-)

Congrats, I think I'm in the same boat no more credit cards for me and my main goal is to now pay off my truck and my car.  I still hope I see 800 by the end of the year though.

Starting Score: EQ FICO 777
Current Score: EQ FICO 803
Goal Score: EQ FICO 810

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Super Contributor
marty56

Unlikely closing the card had anything to do with it but +1 on the score increase.

09/12/2013 FICO: EQ: 772 EX:813 TU:752
Valued Member
ssp

TY! My score had initially decreased with each cc inq and with each new card that was opened. I have the exact same balances with all of them as before and I figured

all of the damage had been reported, including my AAoA being reduced by 4 yrs.:smileyfrustrated: It was holding steady at 773 after all my abuse and so I decided it was time to

close that card and a few weeks later I get the SW report  concerning the accout closure and score increase. So I figured it helped. How can you or I know for certain that it didn't? whether it did or not I"m doing the happy dance in my garden with all my pretty new buds of promise.:smileylol:

TU 792 EQ 782
*In The Garden*

Established Contributor
YahComb

well, considering you closed to card so close to the 1 year date, the account aging past 1 year and the inquiry reaching 1 year are also things that could definitely have impacted your score recently.

EQ-730(06/30/14) TU-758(06/19/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 7.5K | Disc It 9K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 2.92yr AAOA: 24.8 mo
Regular Contributor
omskillet

marty56 wrote:

Unlikely closing the card had anything to do with it but +1 on the score increase.

If the card had a balance and is now reporting as 0 then that could explain the score increase.

Valued Member
ssp

That card was barely used and I kept a 0 balance on it. I didn't consider the age of the account or the inquiry:smileylol: but now that I think of it, several inquiries were at least a year old ..you guys are on it! I have to admit that before I found this board, I simply pulled my cr every year to make sure everything was dropping off as it should. There wasn't a lot of baddies but enough to get denials and crappy offers for credit cards that take advantage of people with not so good records. I didn't even bother with checking my score until I came here. *looking around* I kinda like it here :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks!

TU 792 EQ 782
*In The Garden*