New Visitor
ErniePotts
I'd like a new credit card... Which cards should I be applying for?

I just checked my Equifax score, and it looks like its 772.  I would like a new credit card as a "just in case."  I use my Amex Zync card 99% of the time, but I'd like something else: A) If somewhere doesn't accept American Express or B) Just for additional bonuses (cash back, points, etc).  I also plan on buying a laptop ASAP, so if I'm able to get a card that has 6-12 months of 0% financing that'd be very beneficial.  I was just going to go to Best Buy and take advantage of their 0% 18 month financing, but I'd rather have a card I can continually use (I rarely, if ever shop at Best Buy lol).

Is there a resource, or does anyone know what kind of cards I should be applying for in this range?

Established Contributor
Jlu
Re: I'd like a new credit card... Which cards should I be applying for?

Well since you are looking to mainly use it in the event someone doesn't accept AMEX there is a chance they will not accept Visa or Discover either so I'd stick with Mastercard for 99.99% acceptance worldwide. I would also stick with a no foreign transaction fee card since if you ever plan to travel you won't use your AMEX due to lack of acceptance and foreign transaction fees. So a no foreign transaction fee Mastercard..

The choice that would come to my mind would be the Chase Sapphire Preferred Mastercard with a 40,000 point ($400+) sign up bonus although after the first year you would have to justify the $95 AF, which isn't hard to do if you use it for the 2% food/travel. This card is 15% with no 0% intro, but I'm sure the sign-up bonus would offset any interest charge.

Don't forget, you have to go through Mastercard.com to get the Mastercard version CSP application.

JP Morgan Select $10k | CSP $10k | Citi TY Premier $15k | BofA 3-2-1 $15k | Chase Freedom $10k | Discover IT $10k | Barclaycard $15k | AMEX SPG $5k | AMEX PRG NPSL | NASA Platinum-Advantage $10k | CapOne Quicksilver $3k | Walmart Card $5k | Amazon Card $10k | Chase Auto 1.49% | Joined myFICO 6/12 with a 540 FICO & today I'm over 750!
Valued Contributor
nicholasyud

We can't said anything since we don't know your credit file........

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 748 Wishlist: CSP, Simply Cash, SPG, BOLD, INK, United MP,
Goal Score: 800

Walmart: 10k |Usaa: 8k|BCE: 9k| Amex: NSPL|Dis: 3.4k|Cap: 3.5k|CAP: 2k|CSP: 5k| Pen:4.5k

Valued Contributor
injustifiiable

If you want to finance a computer, and want to go Mac, you can do the Apple Financing Visa card from Barclays. They run 0% for 12 months all of the time. Pretty generous with CL, too.

Scores 6/17/2014: TU FICO: 643 | EQ FICO: 675 | EX AMEX FICO: 666

In my new wallet: American Express Premier Rewards Gold EMV: NPSL | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | BarclayCard Rewards Average: $2000 | Travelocity Rewards AMEX: $1050 | Discover IT: $1500 | Amazon Rewards Visa: $1500 | Sportsman's Guide Visa: $3000 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $1250 | Target: $400 | J.Crew $5950
Frequent Contributor
somnipotent

I'd say Chase Sapphire Preferred or Capital One Venture

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Established Contributor
Koop10010

You could look at the Chase Freedom card.  It has 15 months of 0% and is a solid cashback card.  Since the Amex you have is a Zync, I assume you don't travel frequently.  If you do, you should take a look at the Sapphire Preferred.  It doesn't have a 0% offer, but even if you do have to carry a balance, the signup bonus will make up for that.  Also, all of Capitol One's products waive forex fees.

FICOs (2/24/12): EX 752, EQ 740
Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom; American Express PR Gold, Blue Cash Everyday