Established Member
twelfthjoe2
From Capital One $500 limit to American Express
[ Edited ]

Not long ago I had posted on here and did not really get any good replies so I thought I would add a little more detail and maybe that would help. Anyways I had posted about how one day a little over a month ago a friend was over and a commercial for American Express came on the TV so we were messing around and both applied for the platinum card. I’m 21 and then the only card I had was a Capital One card with a $500 limit and they refused to increases it not long ago when I asked. Keeping in mind I have never missed a payment or ever used more the 50% of the credit. I had it about a year. He as a Capital One card also but with a $300 limit. Had it about 6 mouths. He applied first and got declined for it right away and I started thinking maybe I shouldn’t but did anyways and I got this.

Thank You for applying for the American Express® Platinum Card. In order to provide you with an instant decision, we need to speak with you.

So I called gave them my SSN they pulled it up asked me a few questions. Where I live, where I work, what I make and so on. I told them everything honesty. I’m a Hotel Front Desk Supervisor and Housekeeping Supervisor and only make around 45k a year. She then asked me to hold for a few minutes as she had to check something. I have no idea what anybody got any ideas?

She then came back about 5 minutes later and said. Welcome to American Express you are  approved for our Platinum card and you'll get your card in the mail with-in 2 or 3 days.

So after thinking about it for a while and still am I thought man how did I get this? Does anybody have any ideas? Did the Capital One card help that much? I have also checked my credit report and had a credit score of 668 I believe. I see two Capital One inquires one for the card and the other for the increases I’m guessing the American Express one is also on there and a student loan is on there also. Thanks for your replies in advance. :smileyhappy:

And for anybody that may not believe me.

Valued Contributor
beb86
Re: From Capital One $500 limit to American Express

congrats but you may want to take these pics off. we used to have a thread that everyone showed off their plastic but it was shut down for security reasons 

ccpics2.jpg
Valued Contributor
j_casteel

congrats!

hope you use it enough to make that AF worth it. 

| Walmart $5k | Amazon $5k | NFCU $20k | NLOC $15k | Lowes $17k | BoA $15k | Freedom $3k | IT $4.5k | CSP $5k | Marriott $5k | AMEX TE $9k | Alaska $5k |
Starting Scores: EQ:571 EX:??? TU:597
Current Scores: EQ:694 EX:714 TU:711
Goal Scores: 700
across the board
Established Contributor
Koop10010

Congrats.  Posting pictures of your own plastic violates the forum rules now I think, so you may have to remove those.  Anyway, Amex charge cards aren't actually that hard to get.  I qualified for a Gold with 8 months history on one card and 5 on another, both had $500 limits.  Some have gotten a charge card with as little as 6 months history.  Honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised if you had gotten an instant approval.

FICOs (2/24/12): EX 752, EQ 740
Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom; American Express PR Gold, Blue Cash Everyday
Established Member
twelfthjoe2
[ Edited ]

beb86 wrote:

congrats but you may want to take these pics off. we used to have a thread that everyone showed off their plastic but it was shut down for security reasons 

Thanks for the advice. :smileyhappy:

I had only really posted them because last time I got a few PM's saying well basically I'm full of crap.

Shogun

twelfthjoe2 is not full of crap.  He really has an AMEX.   Now take the pics down!   Oh, and btw, congrats on a job well done!!!

Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!
Established Member
twelfthjoe2
[ Edited ]

j_casteel wrote:

congrats!

hope you use it enough to make that AF worth it. 

Thanks! I got a roundtrip plane ticket with it on Delat and already got about $80 refunded for seat upgrades. :smileyhappy:

Valued Contributor
beb86

its funny to think that the AF for the amex plat is almost your CL on your CAP1

ccpics2.jpg
Regular Contributor
alboto

beb86 wrote:

Lmao

Established Member
twelfthjoe2

beb86 wrote:

I know. But at this rate ill end up getting the $200 airline credits or close to it and the 25k points for putting my school charges on it. So it pretty much paid for itself already. :smileyhappy: