Established Contributor
Koop10010
Re: So ashamed and devastated

As someone who generally doesn't trust people very much, I can certainly understand people's points about not letting anyone else be responsible for paying one's bills.  But I also don't know the full nature of the relationship between the OP and her boyfriend, so I'm not really sure if the OP made a mistake by letting her boyfriend make her payment or not.  I also don't think charging three grand is necessarily an issue for your first month, it depends on credit score, reported income and historical spending patterns on other accounts.  If you reported $25K income and have never charged more than $500 in a month on any other account before, sure.  If you make $150K and regularly charge that amount each month on a credit card, should be no issue.

Anyway, OP, I'd bet that atleast 9 times out of 10 in that situation, everything would have worked out fine.  But there are some things I wonder about, like if your first payment coming from someone else's account and then not processing was what caused Amex to just close the account right away.  Also, your boyfriend's CU might have recently pulled his credit report and not seen Amex on there, plus the payment being a fairly significant sum could have triggered the freeze.  I think you should do your best to explain the situation to Amex and try to get your accounts reopened.  But if you can't, don't feel that bad, just look for another lender and probably be a little more careful, atleast when the account is so new.

FICOs (2/24/12): EX 752, EQ 740
Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom; American Express PR Gold, Blue Cash Everyday