Valued Contributor
Re: Upgrade to Surpass

nenuco wrote:

I think AMEX has a strong entry level Hilton no AF card, which gets you access to discounted point redemptions with the AXON discount. In terms of a Hilton with an AF, I would go with the Citi Hilton Reserve. With that card you basically get the same rewards, but you can net a free night when spending $10,000 a year. Furhtermore it has a EMV chip, which you can use if you travel abroad. 

+1. The best combination for most people would be the no AF Amex plus the Citi Reserve. The only exception I can see to this is if someone spends a lot of nights in US Hiltons. Then the 12 points on the surpass vs 10 on the reserve may start to add up.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL