Frequent Contributor
wallyworld123
Re: Proving income for new job

nautikal wrote:

I recently graduated from college and have a job that starts in February. I applied for the Citi Forward card and listed my upcoming salary as my income (which is significantly higher than what I have earned in 2011 and 2012 from seasonal employment), but they sent me a form requesting my 2011 1040 to verify income. Since my job doesn't start until February, this won't show up on my 1040 until I file my 2013 tax return in 2014! Does this mean I have to wait until then to receive credit limits commensurate with my income level?

I tried calling Citi to explain my situation and offered to provide my offer letter to prove salary, but the representative seemed confused and was therefore pretty useless. Does any one have any advice for my position? I should be approved even with my 2011 income levels due to being an authorized signer on a few of my parents' cards, but I would obviously like a higher credit limit for score reasons.

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Congratulations graduate first you should have probably waited to apply for citi forward until you at least started your job in feb. You should have put down your current salary when u applied and then once u recieved some paychecks from your new job then ask for a cli. I don't think you sending in a letter showing your upcoming salary will hold up with them because anything can happen between now and feb. what credit cards do you currently have? What are your credit scores/fico scores? Somehow a red flag went up that's y u were asked to show your tax returns