Valued Contributor
daybreakgonesXe
Re: The right number of credit cards

Pghmg wrote:

Can anyone tell me the proper number of credit cards a person should carry to help increase credit score. Someone told me that three is the magic number. I currently have two, one is a cap one master card and the other a orchard Master Card. Both accounts have  300 limits. Can anyone give me direction .

Three is the absolute minimum, and there doesn't seem to be a cap on the max. But it depends on your management skills. Some people can manage 40+ cards very well, let them age, and get high 700s and into the 800 range over time. Personally, I would aim for 4-6 (currently have 6 now), because I'm aiming toward a perfect credit score one day. That doesn't mean though you can get great credit with more than that! It's all a matter of payment history, utilization, and age of accounts to get into the high ranges!

Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $10k | JCPenney Platinum $7.5k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $25k | Discover IT $9.5k | SavingStar American Express $14.8k

FICOS: EX 759 EQ 718 TU 740 Credit Karma (TU) 790 Transrisk 820/990 Credit Sesame (EX) 766 Credit.com (EX) 774 VantageScore 3.0 726 Quizzle (EQ) 721