Valued Contributor
daybreakgonesXe
Re: To Pay or Not to Pay, that is the Question..

VikingsLoyalFan wrote:

Ok, so I imagine this question has been asked over a 1,000 times but I keep reading something different. Can someone please explain to me the difference of paying a cc completely to 0 or leaving 9% utilization on it? I have never let the balance go to 0 in fear of not having reoccurring account (OK) on my credit. Do I pay them completely off or leave them with a really low balance? Thanks in advance!  

That depends what you want to do! If you have multiple cards, many people like to pay off the accounts to 0 while leaving one account with a 1-9% utilization amount over their total credit lines, in order to really maximize their scores.

If you're not planning on apping for anything anytime soon, this really isn't necessary. Feel free to have a small balances on whatever you want!

Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $10k | JCPenney Platinum $7.5k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $25k | Discover IT $9.5k | SavingStar American Express $14.8k

FICOS: EX 744 EQ 706 TU 733 Credit Karma (TU) 785 Transrisk 808/990 Credit Sesame (EX) 764 Credit.com (EX) 764 VantageScore 3.0 719 Quizzle (EQ) 721