Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup
Re: Closing Aged Accounts.. Yes It Is Ok

ByrdMan wrote:
Another point in favor of not closing an account is that the 10 year removal after closing an account is not etched in stone. I closed a perfect pay history MBNA account in 2/2003. Sometime in 2004, the account history suddenly vaporized from all three reports. I am not able to get it back. I am positive that this is impacting my score dramatically, as its 8+ years is beyond my average age of 5-6 years old.

And this is a problem that seems to be occurring more and more frequently! It's pretty obvious that the CRAs' databases were not designed to handle the amount of activity that we put them through, especially those of us who use TrueCredit and other services to frequently check reports.

I had a report fall off of EQ, although not off of EX, and there's no practical way to get it back. It was a department store card, and the chain has been bought and sold repeatedly. I can't begin to guess where I would start trying to find someone who had access to the records of the account. When it fell off, my average age went from 5-something years to 4 years, 10 months (maybe 11?) Not the end of the world, but I can't afford to lose old accounts, especially not early.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007