Valued Contributor
my-own-fico
The elusive FICO EX
[ Edited ]

The PSECU time of the month recently passed, and somehow my EX score wandered into the 800s, which to the best of my knowledge has never happened before. I'm delighted of course, but also a little puzzled, because while my expectation was for a higher score due to a zeroed card, two listed surprises are putting a damper on things.

1. You've recently been looking for credit. It's been a full year, so why is this reason lingering?

2. There are no recent balances on your revolving credit accounts. For the one card with a balance, the loan type is revolving account and the credit limit is reported, but the loan type reports as flexible spending credit card.

TU too doesn't use this card in its util calculation, but EQ does. And unlike EX, my EQ and TU have both stopped saying anything about looking for new credit.

While it's odd that my EX score has gone up, it's even more of a mystery it didn't do so earlier. After all, people have reported FICO EX scores much higher than their EQ or TU; just look at bulbisaur's TU 802 EQ 797 EX 844.

So it looks as if my EX has a brighter future? Certainly it hasn't been elusive to some.

When it comes to wishful thinking vs reality, wishful thinking wins.