Regular Contributor
jacred
Re: Applying for ING Direct Electric Orange checking account - minimum score/requirements?
Hello everyone!

Thank you for the replies, and I apologize for any confusion. I do have ING savings accounts, which is why I would really like to also open the checking account. The savings accounts do not involve credit checking at all.

The checking account itself does not exactly require a credit check, BUT the Overdraft Line of Credit (which is a required component of the Electric Orange checking account) DOES require a credit check. I wish there was a way to open JUST the checking account, but there is not! :smileysad:

From the ING Electric Orange FAQ:
"Do you pull my credit if I apply for Electric Orange and the Overdraft Line of Credit?
Yes, As part of your application, ING DIRECT will obtain information about you from a consumer credit reporting agency (a “hard pull”) to confirm that you are eligible for Electric Orange.
"

I have a "hard pull" inquiry on my credit report from ING from last year, so they do appear to be actually checking :smileyhappy:

From searching around online it appears that initially ING did NOT require a credit check for the Overdraft LOC but it seems this ended up being a bad idea for them, and they ended up pulling credit reports and closing a LOT of Electric accounts people had opened before they started checking credit.

So does anyone have any idea how strict their guidelines are? They rejected me when I had zero credit history, but I have a little now and am hoping it might be enough!