New Visitor
Tw1stedDNA
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-20-2012
Re: Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide

Hello,

 

I am new to this forum. I went to try USAA but its for army veterans only I guess?

 

So what other options do you recommend? I think myFico ScoreWatch might be good for me, or do you recommend True Credit?

 

Thank you.

Established Contributor
jimbo831
Posts: 977
Registered: ‎02-08-2012
Re: Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide

Tw1stedDNA wrote:

Hello,

 

I am new to this forum. I went to try USAA but its for army veterans only I guess?

 

So what other options do you recommend? I think myFico ScoreWatch might be good for me, or do you recommend True Credit?

 

Thank you.


No, USAA is available for anyone.  You can sign up for a partial membership without any military affiliation.  To use their CMS, you do not need full membership.  Anyone can sign up for the USAA CMS.  IMO, this is far and away the best service.  3 bureau monitoring for only $12.25 along with unlimited daily pulls.  It can't be beat.

Gardening with: PSECU Combo $1k, Chase Freedom $3.5k, Discover It $1.7k, Amex Costco True Earnings $2k, Capital One Platinum $500, Best Buy Store Card $2.7k

Starting Score: FICO: 587 EX, 594 EQ, 632 TU, 2/15/12; USAA FAKO: 525 EX, 541 EQ, 525 TU, 2/15/12
Current Score: FICO: 678 EX, 629 EQ, 658 TU, 3/27/12; USAA FAKO: 721 EX, 721 EQ, 576 TU, 3/9/12
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board and Amex Zync or Costco By The End Of 2012


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Visitor
Tw1stedDNA
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-20-2012
Re: Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide

Thanks for the prompt reply. So you recommend USAA over myFico SW even though USAA is not Fico?

Established Contributor
jimbo831
Posts: 977
Registered: ‎02-08-2012
Re: Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide

Tw1stedDNA wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply. So you recommend USAA over myFico SW even though USAA is not Fico?


Well, you really can't compare the two.  USAA is way better for credit monitoring because it monitors all three bureaus and you can manually pull daily.

 

SW will give you a FICO score yes, but you pay monthly but you are only allowed 2 pulls per year.  If you set your alert score to the current score, you will get an alert with any new FICO score if there is a change, but that is it.  You won't be able to see the report and why it changed.  Plus, keep in mind SW only monitors and gets the score from EQ, while USAA monitors all 3.

 

Here is what I do.  I use USAA to keep an eye on all three reports.  Most of the time, your score doesn't matter.  Knowing the information on your report, specifically changes is most important.  When I want to apply for something, I buy my FICO score so I will have an idea going in where I stand.  It is my personal belief that there is way more value in monitoring the content of your report regularly than the score.

Gardening with: PSECU Combo $1k, Chase Freedom $3.5k, Discover It $1.7k, Amex Costco True Earnings $2k, Capital One Platinum $500, Best Buy Store Card $2.7k

Starting Score: FICO: 587 EX, 594 EQ, 632 TU, 2/15/12; USAA FAKO: 525 EX, 541 EQ, 525 TU, 2/15/12
Current Score: FICO: 678 EX, 629 EQ, 658 TU, 3/27/12; USAA FAKO: 721 EX, 721 EQ, 576 TU, 3/9/12
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board and Amex Zync or Costco By The End Of 2012


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Visitor
Tw1stedDNA
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-20-2012
Re: Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide

Thanks. I will sign up for USAA. I have had BofA Privacy Assist for the last year and cancelled it last night. Didn't really get any use of it. It also only gave me an update quaterly.

 

I will do the same as you..pull the myFico when I need it.

 

Another question, doing a manual pully daily from USAA on all 3 reports doesn't effect our score right? I guess its a soft hit.

 

Thanks again!

New Visitor
stormywat
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-19-2012
Re: Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide

No, it doesn't affect your score. I use EIDT for daily pulls and monitoring. It is also a daily puller.

New Contributor
Movin_on_up
Posts: 52
Registered: ‎01-31-2012
Re: Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide

Jimbo831 and Stormywat - thanks for the info.   And a huge thanks to llecs for keeping the first post updated.  It's a HUGE service.

 

I'm new here but have learned volumes in the past few months.  Look forward to contributing with what I can can moving forward.

Starting score:
EQ FICO 702 (1/1/2012)

Current scores:
TU FICO 785 (12/28/2013)
EQ FICO 791 (12/28/2013)
EX FICO 791 (12/28/2013)
TU-08 FICO 776 (12/10/2013)

Wallet: Chase Freedom $12,600 - Discover More $12,600 - Walmart $1,000 - Capital One MC $500
Regular Contributor
delayedinsanity
Posts: 154
Registered: ‎03-28-2012
Re: Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide

jimbo831 wrote:
No, USAA is available for anyone.  You can sign up for a partial membership without any military affiliation.  To use their CMS, you do not need full membership.  Anyone can sign up for the USAA CMS.  IMO, this is far and away the best service.  3 bureau monitoring for only $12.25 along with unlimited daily pulls.  It can't be beat.

Are you sure? Maybe you had a relative that was in the military? I just attempted to sign up in order to attain the credit monitoring and was actually told by the system that I was denied and that I should have a "parent or legal guardian call us to complete your request". I'm pretty sure I gave you my birthdate... so maybe your system assumes all 30 somethings live at home in their parents basement still? I suppose in this day and age....

 

Established Contributor
jimbo831
Posts: 977
Registered: ‎02-08-2012
Re: Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide

delayedinsanity wrote:

jimbo831 wrote:
No, USAA is available for anyone.  You can sign up for a partial membership without any military affiliation.  To use their CMS, you do not need full membership.  Anyone can sign up for the USAA CMS.  IMO, this is far and away the best service.  3 bureau monitoring for only $12.25 along with unlimited daily pulls.  It can't be beat.

Are you sure? Maybe you had a relative that was in the military? I just attempted to sign up in order to attain the credit monitoring and was actually told by the system that I was denied and that I should have a "parent or legal guardian call us to complete your request". I'm pretty sure I gave you my birthdate... so maybe your system assumes all 30 somethings live at home in their parents basement still? I suppose in this day and age....

 


Yes, I am 100% sure.  If I had a relative that was in the military, USAA would only know if I told them, and they never asked.  The message you got is not a denial for no military affiliation.  It sounds like you are either under 18, or put in the wrong birthdate so it thought you were under 18.  Also, you didn't give ME your birthdate and it isn't MY system.  I am in no way affiliated with USAA.  If I were you, I would call them to find out what happened, but I would bet money that you put in a birthdate that would indicate you are under 18.

Gardening with: PSECU Combo $1k, Chase Freedom $3.5k, Discover It $1.7k, Amex Costco True Earnings $2k, Capital One Platinum $500, Best Buy Store Card $2.7k

Starting Score: FICO: 587 EX, 594 EQ, 632 TU, 2/15/12; USAA FAKO: 525 EX, 541 EQ, 525 TU, 2/15/12
Current Score: FICO: 678 EX, 629 EQ, 658 TU, 3/27/12; USAA FAKO: 721 EX, 721 EQ, 576 TU, 3/9/12
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board and Amex Zync or Costco By The End Of 2012


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus
llecs
Posts: 32,881
Registered: ‎08-04-2007
Re: Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide

Ditto to Jimbo. While I have extended family that served, my parents did not and I'm not eligible to become a full member of USAA (unless anyone wants to adopt me). But I can and did sign up for the USAA CMS. I'm limited on credit products and I can't partake in their insurance products.