Senior Contributor
Walt_K
Re: Just tried PFD attempt, no good. What next?

bd1980 wrote:

Well, thanks for the replies.  Another case of me where I should've kept my mouth shut.  It states in the report that they recieved it May 2012 but didn't report it till June 2012.  They have never contacted me.  They claim that they tried my old address but who's to know.  Looks like I will just pay them and send in a GW letter and more than likely have them reject it.  It really aggrevates me that this is going to mess up my credit so bad for the next 7 years and me being able to get a mortgage for 157 bucks.  Oh well, live and learn I guess. I'm tired of dealing with this.  I'll just continue to make timely payments on the loan I have and use the card I have to try to boost my score, but I feel that there is only so high I will be able to go with this stupid collection on my record that I didn't even start (my ex did).

Thanks anyway.

I don't want to speak for Robert, but I don't think he was telling you that you can't pursue a PFD arrangement.  He was pointing out that saying you will be speaking with your attorneys is probably not the right way to approach it because it implies that you are going to take some sort of legal action.  This is problematic for at least two reasons (1) based on what you've said thus far, it doesn't appear you have any legal grounds, and (2) perhaps more to the point, you're asking someone to work with you but impliedly threating them.  No one is saying give up on the PFD.  Just leave out the idea that you are going to pursue legal recourse unless of course there is actually some sort of improper reporting or other violation of FCRA/FDCPA.

The other thing Robert is cautioning is that you consider when the SOL runs for this debt.  If you are within the SOL, they could sue you. 

The CA may have received it May 2012, but when did the account actually go delinquent? 

In any event, I don't think you're likely to get sued over $157 especially if you are offering to pay the debt in full in exchange for deletion.  But you should look into when it went delinquent so you can determine if you are within SOL and so you can determine when this will naturally fall off your report if they won't delete.  I wouldn't give up on the PFD just yet.  Who is the CA by the way?  You can search for the CA on here and see if others have reported any success with that particular CA and PFD requests.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge