Established Member
Tikon
Considering the consequences of credit fraud

I got an interesting call yesterday from a collection agency. They asked to speak with my niece (who does not live with me and is 3 years old).

My sister went to S. Africa years back and met a man. They got married and she was able to obtain a sponsor for him to come to the US. Since then they've blown up their credit.

Now I find out the husband's friends "set up a business" in the name of the daughter and obtained, maxed out, and defaulted on a $5,000 line of credit for tools (which they are using in their business).

How they were able to set up a business in the name of a 3 year old is beyond me, but the husband is in possession of all the items and the debt is now owned by a collection agency (who somehow got my number).

My sister wants to dispute it but I have recommended they make every effort to pay it and hope there's no criminal investigation. The husband legitimately thought a 3 yr old could obtain credit and was shocked when I said that I was 100% sure he committed a felony. I'm also worried when my niece grows up she's going to have 15 years of explaining to do to reconcile her actual birthdate (2009) and SSN with whatever birthdate is now in her credit profile!

So mad now. :smileymad:

Credit cards: $5400 AmEx BlueCash Everyday, $5000 BOA Signature Visa, $5500 Discover, $4000 Citi Plat Select, $1500 CapitalOne Platinum, $5000 B&N Barclaycard, $5000 Elan Financial, $4700 Chase Freedom, $2000 CapitalOne Journey (AU), $500 Chase Amazon, $600 Shell, $500 Kohls, $500 Goodys, $450 JCPenny