Established Contributor
jamie123
Re: New and need some help

Welcome to the forum!

Your scores are pretty good! The only thing you are lacking is credit history.

Is the AMEX Gold the only credit you have on your report? Do you have any old auto loans? Do you have any student loans? Do you have a mortgage?

You need to have at least 3 credit cards to maximize your scores. Here are my suggestions:

Apply for an AMEX Blue Cash Everyday or an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, whichever card fits you best. The Blue Cash Everyday doesn't have an annual fee while the Blue Cash Preferred has an annual fee but the rewards are larger. I normally wouldn't suggest applying for this card but seeing that you've had a Gold card for 9 years you should be approved. If you are not approved it will only be a soft pull anyway because you are a current AMEX member. These cards are revolvers and let you carry a balance month to month unlike your Gold charge card.

Do you shop at Walmart? If you shop at Walmart then definitely apply for the Walmart card. You will get a free TU08 FICO score every month for free after signing up for electronic bill pay. This card is backed by GE and they are really good with automatic credit line increases. You have an excellent chance at being approved for this card.

You may also want to apply for 1 card from one of these prime banks:

CitiBank

Chase

Bank of America

Wells Fargo

Discover

You might be denied a card from these banks at this point but I would suggest giving it a try. You certainly won't get it if you don't try. If you are denied, keep trying again every 6 months. The only reason I see you being denied for one of these cards is your thin file or lack of credit card credit history.

Please stop back and let us know how you do with the approvals!

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 658 6/18/12
Current Score: EQ 680 9/23/13
Goal Score: EQ 720+
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge