Established Contributor
distantarray
Re: International Student - What can I do to improve my credit?

It takes 6months of history before your generated a FICO score so don't be surprised, but you can usually go to any credit union and request a secured card. Most local credit unions these days from my experience have their own credit card printer so they can print it for you on the spot. $1,000 deposit and they give you $1,000 card in about 10 minutes at my credit union. Once your credit score is good at my CU will unsecure the account. =)

But the FASTEST way to generate a FICO score into great territory is to be added as an AU (authorized user) or ACM (Amex's term for AU aka Additional card member)

Another person, friend or family adds you on their credit card, allowing you access to use it. As an authorized user you are not responible for paying the debt, but you can spend it. (quite nice right?) best part about this process is they don't even have to give you the card to use, and their credit report for that card will copy and paste into your credit file. I had my friend add his 16 year old son onto a 30 year Amex account.... the result? 807 credit score... and yes on the report it stated 30 years.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758