Regular Contributor
belverbears
Re: Success Stories and Encouragement
No, I didn't pay anything off.   My original debts were in my bankruptcy, but the judgments were already on the bankruptcy.  So the least the credit reporting agencies had to do was put "Listed In Bankruptcy" next to the judgment information.   So I'm glad they were removed.  Here's an outline of the letter I sent.  The reasons I gave were some major health problems I had that lead to a financial hardship.  I based this on a letter I saw here.

Name of the Creditor/Collection Agency/Credit Reporting Agency
SS#: xxx-xx-xxxx
Account Number:
Judgment Case #: (if applicable)
Case #: (if applicable)
Original Creditor Name: (if applicable)
Any Other Information You May Want Go Give Concerning The Debt

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to see if you will make a goodwill adjustment in your reporting to my _____________ (Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) credit report.  Due to some hardships in my life, I was unable to meet my responsibilities to my creditors.  Over time, this negatively impacted my credit report.  

(Explain the hardships and how they made it unable for you to meet your financial responsibilities)

(Explain how you are now in a better place in your life and are trying to clean up your credit, pay your debts, etc…

(Explain what you want this creditor/credit reporting agency to do for you.  Be SPECIFIC about what you want them to do to your credit file)

(Give them praise.  Do they have great customer service?  Have they ever helped you before?  Etc…

I hope you will consider my request to ____________________________  I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Sincerely,

(Type Your Name, I didn't sign mine)

Your name

Address

Telephone Number

Belver
http://www.daveramsey.com (best financial adviser I ever heard!)
Love never fails......hope is always there.
TU: 569 EXP: 566 EQU: 564
Goal 750