Moderator Emeritus
webhopper
Re: Collections on Credit Reporting

heathuhhhhwebbbb wrote:

Just a question.  I'm planning to try to get a house in about 6 months to a year, and am wondering how picky lenders are when it comes to medical collections on your credit reports.  I have 2 that show up on my Equifax, 1 showing up on Experian, and none on my Transunion (not sure why the variation).  Both DOFD are from March 2011, and one is for $150 and one for $400.  I tried PFD but haven't received any response yet.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Collections can put your loan at risk if the amount is very large...    In some / most states, the creditor can take you to court and get a judgement for these amounts, which can lead to a garnishment of your wages.    A lender will protect himself by making sure that you are not at risk of having a judgment filed since the judgment can be made and can result in a lien on the home or a garnishment of your paychecks.  If your checks are getting garnished, or  your bank account gets a lien, then that would hinder your ability to pay the mortgage...   So basically the lender is just trying to cover the bases and make sure that there isn't a lot of risk floating out there.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge