joelo0
USDA loan income limit question and new construction
[ Edited ]

So hoping someone can chime in who can give me an idea on the loan process for the USDA program (guaranteed loan).

Looking at new construction for a USDA loan.    Currently fiancee and myself are under the income limits by about 10k based on our hourly incomes.  The issue that is coming up is I just accepted a job offer that would put us over the income limits but requires a lot of security clearances (government position) which I was told can take quite some time (several months).  When would the income be checked in regards to eligibility for a new construction home?  Does it happen at completion of the house or before or multiple times?   I would not want to agree to a contract on the home and find out because of the new job that I'm ineligible for USDA.  I'll be at my current job until I found out about the other job.   

Valued Contributor
tooleman694
Re: USDA loan income limit question and new construction

When you are going thru underwriting they will check with your current employer.

joelo0
I see and the underwriting is done before construction or is that done at closing of the house (end of construction)?
Valued Contributor
tooleman694

It depends on your builder, my builder made me get pre-approval and go thru underwriting before we started building. When we are close to finishing the build we have to go thru the same process all over again.

When I built my first home, they didnt require a thing. We just did all the loan stuff right before the home was done.